Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Apr 23, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

When you're challenged with the question "Why", are you prepared to respond in a way that can be universally understood?

For example, why do you believe (or not) that the death penalty is appropriate for some cases? I don't mean a gut-resounding "because", I mean, can you come up with a concise and logical argument for your position?

I think in the shower a lot, and this morning I got to thinking "What is my logical, average-Joe-understandable reason for some of the things I believe, and so many of the things that make so much sense to me?" I found it actually to be a little challenging for some of my political opinions, some stuff I'd kinda just rode along with without overthinking them.

So, I thought that might be an interesting thread to stir some introspection. I also had a couple Margaritas and the wife just got on the phone...

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I also had a couple Margaritas and the wife just got on the phone...

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I also had a couple Margaritas and the wife just got on the phone...

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda funny how we do our best "philosophizing" after a couple drinks huh? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

My usual answer to "WHY" is.."because that is what makes sense to me. I choose not to justify my actions or reasoning to you because I do not have to". /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif That is mainly because I am in a general state of confusion. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    why do you believe (or not) that the death penalty is appropriate for some cases?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it is appropriate in some cases where the defendant is caught dead to rights guilty of a heinous crime such as murder, rape, crimes with children etc. To be sentenced to death immediately. If there is absolute evidence, why pussyfoot around wasting money and space in prisons. Some people guilty of these crimes eventually win appeals and get released , only to do it again. This is only an opinion, and even though I believe in god , I firmly believe people get what they deserve. Hippies and civil right groups who push for abolition of the death penalty, missed the point. Our founding fathers never intended our system of rights to help actual criminals, it was intended to stop innocent people from getting railroaded by the government, which is what England did to our Forefathers on a regular basis. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I'm always ready for a philosophical argument, you know that, give me a topic!

Death penalty is boring, it's so cut and dry, proven guilt, shoot him down, anything else throw them in prison.

Ask me why they should put me in charge of anti drug commercials /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

So...uh...I was thinking, RJ, that they should put you in charge of anti-drug commercials....yeah, that's the ticket...what do ya think? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Kinda funny how we do our best "philosophizing" after a couple drinks huh?

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Some of man's best ideas occur after induced-philosophy! Just don't ask me to prove that...

I didn't mean to fire off any kind of debate. I just found myself questioning, if some things make perfect sense to me, why don't they make perfect sense to other people? I mean, sometimes I hear what politicians say, or the "man on the street" the news cameras always get, and I'm like, "what the fork is wrong with these peeps?"
    My two theories were;
    1. Each individual has a different perspective that causes a unique (no matter how similar) reaction to the same circumstances. Different people don't know or place different value on elements of the circumstances, thus, the birth of what another individual percieves as ridiculous opinions on an issue.
    2. People ignore the elements and circumstances, and they form an opinion based on what they hear, or what the bigger portion of the crowd leans toward. These are the ones I would think would fail this challenge of "Why do you believe what you believe".

So this lead me to think, "When someone challenges my opinion on something, am I able to explain my position in a way that can be understood by the challenger?"
    What I mean by that is, for example, if someone says "Why do you believe guns should remain in the hands of citizens?" Is "because we have a right to defend ourselves" enough of an answer? No, it's really not. But if I can cross-reference historic, social, and scientific knowledge that's already accepted by the challenger, then I can effectively "stand my ground".
    If we all could do this well when it comes to big issues, we'd probably all understand each others opinions more (not meaning we would need to agree with them).

[ QUOTE ]
    I choose not to justify my actions or reasoning to you because I do not have to

[/ QUOTE ]
    This can work too... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

The should!

Hey kids, this is weed? You like weed? Really? Alright? Prolly think all that 420 culture is cool too huh? Well it isn't, you're acting like a retard! Put down the technicolor bong, roll the occasinal special cig and get on with it, quit glorifying your chemical loves! Stupid shits!

Don't ride the horse kids, he only goes one way, downnnnn downnnn downnnnnnnnnnn, I mean stabbing yourself with needles is fun and all, but if your topping out life experience on expensive powder what have you got to look forward too? Probably not that next episode of Trigun eh? Too busy rolling aorund in your own vomit,,,,,,,

Oh and cigarettes, you know thier [darn] bad for you, but you can make that choice yourself. It's fun, and it sure looks cool, but unless you like cigarette smell as much as me, it may not be the best choice. If your going to smoke, smoke Lucky Strikes, those are the best! Filters are for pussies. I'm on about a pack a month, one or two puffs per.

Alchohol? Alchohol; is great, but you;re using it wrong. Drinking 30 cans of keystone you had some bum buy for $9.99 at the local store and puking on some girl you wanted a kissy from isn't. Alcohol is just like food. Be the guy eating a nice 24oz steak, not the loser in the sweatpants eating 14 big macs at McDonalds. McDonalds sucks by the way.

And quit doing extasy, the pants are kind of cool, and the neon lights kind of give it a nice atmosphere, but lockjaw and siezures don't much add to the rave. Whatever you want though. You do realize half the people have all the paraphenelia just to look cool right?

Anyway, in summation, if you need abject chemicals to make your life more interesting, you're not doing it right.