Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why ??

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jfortner, Aug 22, 2004.

1. jfortner

jfortner Registered Member

I just put the new front springs on and just have to ask why. On the drivers side where the back of the spring is there is a bracket attached to the frame to prevent the spring from pushing towards the rear. Now of course there is not one on the passengers side? Why only one side? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I am planning on hacking it off /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif any reason why not to? I have TC springs and the ORD shackels.

Thanks John

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

That is part of a recal GM had in 69. You should also have a 'strap' on the front spring mount, drivers side. This was due to the 69 modle busting spring eye bolts and losing control of the truck. I guess the idea was to 'trap' the spring pack incase the bolt did break you would still have some control over the vehicle and beable to stop. I think I also remember GM saying they changed the bolt size too?
    I removed my rear stop but the front strap is still there as it realy is not in the way.
    Hope this helps
    Burt /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. jfortner

jfortner Registered Member

Mine is a 1971 so there is not a front strap but the front clamp on the drivers side is different than the passengers side. The passengers side is just an open bracket but the drivers side was closed on all sides except where the spring came out. I can see how it would hold the spring roughly in place. Sure did make it difficut to get the old spring out and the new one in. Since I have new bolts now off it goes /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif. Otherwise my ORD shackels allow the springs to hit the bracket when I put the truck weight on the springs.

Now I just need to find some cross drilled rotors so I can reassamble the front end. I can't believe there is a two month wait on them. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

John

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya I just put the biggest bolts in that would fit /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif
    Burt