Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Aug 17, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

I went to 6 different wrecking yards or dismantlers today and not a single one had a D60. not even a D44 3/4 ton...i went to richmond, 4 places in sacramento, and a place in marysville...where should i start looking...oh and i called another dismantler place out here in fairfield and they dont have anything either...i have 39.5" iroks sitting in my garage waiting to be put on for BB05...but no, nobody has a D60 i can buy...sorry about the post. i am just venting

2. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

Don't come down to the southeast looking. It's no better here :mad:

3. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Cruise the back roads looking for old trucks. Buy the truck keep the 60 sell the rest. Parts trader. Internet :D P4x4 has a couple guys that sell 60s/parts. www.backwoodsparts.com or something.

4. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

I tried looking for a 60 in the junk yard one time...
    All I did was walk in the front door, mention that I was casually looking for a dana 60 and I got laughed out of the place. Seriously these people were hysterical. Its like I told the worlds funniest joke.

And this yard specialized in trucks.

I ended up buying a complete truck and robbing the 60 out of it.

5. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

because its the thing to have now...bragging rights I've seen guys put them in Toy's running 35's :confused: I think alot of guys THINK they need them when they don't :doah: When I have time and excess money I may go the 60 route but I'll buy a whole truck before I pay 1000-1200 for just the axle :eek1:

6. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Getting a whole truck is the way to go as mentioned by everyone else......I got mine by trading a barely running jeep yj (head was shot) to a guy that had a wrecked 1 ton chevy in his front yard....still had the 454 in it :saweet:

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I paid $750 for a complete running (but not streetable) 1-ton just for the 60 and then parted rest of the truck out = very cheap D60.

8. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

I blew up a d44 under a light jeep with 35s in the dirt...it depends on your driving style. Some people do need them.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Camp out at the scrapyards...

I've seen several 1 ton 4x4 trucks go in the crusher here,dana 60 and all! :eek1: --since scrap prices shot up,anything heavy is being cashed in for money,and they care not if it has a good 454,dana 60.etc..they used too,but now its about the same price for scrap as they could sell an "iffy" axle or motor for,so they dont even bother looking to see whats under the truck most of the time...saw a C-60 dump truck with a 454 go in there yesterday,never to be seen again...guy hauling it in said "I offered the motor to a guy for 200 bucks--he said it smoked,told me to keep it! :screwy: --wish I had 200 bucks!--but it was already going in the crusher :angry1: :mad:

Its a shame,because big blocks,especially the older 454's,are scarce here for the most part,same with the dana 60 front axles--only so many 1 tons were sold with them,and most of those trucks were state DPW,or local contractors trucks--most of them rarely get scrapped with the axle or motor still in the truck,unless they blew them up or they seized..too many guys know what they are worth,and sell them before junking it--but lately,they just junk everything intact!..a terrible waste of good parts..many guys I tell not to junk them wont even light the torch to cut them out!..everyone is in a big hurry today,cant waste 5 minites..they want the weight,dont care if its worth money to someone 1000 miles away... :doah:

Only way to get a big block or dana 60 now is to camp out at the crusher,and hope you can con the guys operating the loaders and crusher into putting the truck you think might have one in it aside--but its a busy place,and things have to keep moving,big semi's in and out costantly--a dangerous place to be!..and most of them wont even let you go inside and look anymore...its getting that way here now,never used to be..the times,they are a changing... and not for the better for us older truck enthusiasts..:( :crazy:

10. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

You jusI gotta gotta get lucky. I got a '85 Ford D60 at a pick-n-pull half price weekend, in Oakland, for ........$108! While I was pulling it, a dude walked by and was blown away/jealous that I actually found a D60 at a JY. After I had paid and loaded it up and was cruising the yard for more parts, I came across the same dude pulling a D60 out of a '78 Ford! We were amazed that there were TWO 60's in the same yard at the same time, and the sale had been going on all weekend, we were there late Sunday. If you want a cheep D60, be patient, and persistent, you just gotta be in the right place at the right time.

11. RampageFSJ

RampageFSJ 1/2 ton status

I agree, be patient, I stumbled across a Dodge D60 front under a 89 cummins powered rig with a blown tranny. Turns out, the owner didn`t want to waste the money to rebuild it and was tired of insuring it. So, he`s gonna sell it to me for $400 and he put me at the top of the list and will keep it until I get the money. Only problem that I have with it is that it has the external lockout hubs that I hear are weaker. AAAANNNNDD :rolleyes: ? $400 works for me, he`s gonna part out the rest when I pull the axle.