Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Apr 15, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

what was all that about...i`m just asking for peoples opinions.....if i`m making it out of pvc pipe then its obviously not going to be of any use it will just be a decoration.....which is what i wanted.....there really wasnt a reason for you guys to flame me and s**t...seriously...and i do know how to use search...i used it as much as time would allow before i had to go to work and couldnt find what i was looking for so i figured that i could post up and ask what i did, hoping guys like you would do as i ask and hopefully figure out that it wasnt being made for what they are intended for and that it was only for decoration...i didnt want it to turn into a big fest of callin me f****** stupid for doing it....you couldve just said that it wouldnt of been a good idea unless it was just a decoration

with that said do you guys have any ideas for me?.....or do you know where i can get a "real" cage that is almost like a roll bar that goes straight back and then goes down behind the back seat to the floor?

2. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

one thing no one pointed out is that if PVC ever catches on fire, it emmits a gas that will kill you. So if you ever wrecked at it was set ablaze, it would not be good. There are several places that make prefabbed cages, I'm thinking in the $200 range. I'm definitely gonna be in the market for a cage in the next year or two.

3. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

For one, you knew you were asking for it. But that aside, you should go with a real cage, especially if you plan on mounting a spare tire to it. It also looks like your rig is set up to wheel and a cage would not be a bad idea for safety. If you are going to do it, do it right.

4. NEK5

thanks....does anyone have any links??? also would you do the whole truck or just the back and if yes how hard is it to do aound the dash area?

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sometimes people aren't as politically correct as they should or could be.. Thus the attack makes them feel better about themselves.. Honesty is a great thing, but so is understanding..

That being said, you have to realize this site and its brethren tend to look torward functionality.. Bling sits at the back of the bus around here, as it should.. And PVC pipe falls into a lower class than that.. Non-functional bling that gives 4 x 4's a bad name..

Now as to a reasonably priced solution to what you want to achieve.. I would suggest looking at prebuilt cages from Smittybuilt, Comp Engineering, etc.. Someone, or some research can help you better with that, I haven't looked into it.. I'll be bending my own at some point down the road..

You wont find a "pickup style" rolbar to fit under your cap, but may be able to shorten/modify one to work.. I take it your not running a backseat?

Rollcages tend to be pretty serious bussiness in here, as it should, your life, and loved ones, may depend on it.. Usually convos tend to be DOM vs HREW, gussetting, structural issues, to tie into the frame or not, etc....

6. NEK5

i am running a back seat....what about the thing that is in the coloradok5 truck that has the black canback on it in the product reviews?

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[​IMG]

The thick roll bar is actually a factory roll bar. The smaller one is actually the tubing for the canback top.

8. NEK5

its a factory roll bar? that is exactly what i want

9. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

I used a roll bar out of a early 70s k5, turned it around, put it right behind the cab, all i had to do was add some tubing down to the floor.

10. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

has anyone adapted a factory roll bar to a suburban?

11. NEK5

pics?

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I thought about it, actually had the roll bar to do it but was going to take a major undertaking to get it in and in place to fit under the roof. The floors are different and it wasn't worth my hassle to continue to do it so I'm just going to build my own full cage eventually.

13. NEK5

is the tubing of the factory roll bar the same as that one or does he have some sort of padding over it?

14. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

Talk about thin skin and a lack of grammar :haha:

PVC "decoration" deserves 2 of these ----> :haha: :haha:

15. NEK5

how much do the factory rollbars go for and do any of u guys have them?pics?

16. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

he has padding on his (CK5s) and I think mine was a 2'' tube . every now and again you can find one in the classifieds here on CK5

17. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I've got pics of a simple 6-point cage that I built for a buddy with an '86. It would be almost identical for your truck.

The front bars clear the glovebox door and the whole thing fits really well....minimal intrusion on the occupants.

Check out the photo gallery in my .sig for the pics.

:usaflag:

ps. Your last thread was "hijacked" by a member of the band... probably explains why it got all screwed up.

18. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

you didn't specify, and it wasn't that obvious - people do a lot of really stupid stuff. ever notice how many links there are on this website to pics of people putting 40" blocks under their front springs so they can clear 33" tires and then sacrificing baby goats and using the blood to lubricate their freshly rebuilt 6300 cid 4 cylinder engine? your idea was totally plausible along with that stuff.

you asked for it bro. :doah:

19. NEK5

you`re right i did ask for it without realizing it...i should`ve told you my intentions...but

20. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That being said and understood will help us all out now. The factory roll bars are cheap and relatively effective from what I have seen and read. Keep in mind, for a serious multi-roll accident, it would likely fail miserably. I have searched junkyards for years and have only noticed a couple of the factory bars still in the trucks. Look to summit or jegs for a cheap 4,6,8,10 point cage. They are made by smittybuilt I believe? There are some manufacturers out there like s+w racecars, smittybuilt and a few other smaller companies. From what you have described, I would think going to a local wheeling shop that is experienced in building cages could be your best bet. For about 300-500, you could get exactly what you want in a well made, custom setup. By the way, i'm glad to see you learning about your blazer and learning how to repair it as needed. Just be careful in the future when you post up that you can't loosen a shock bolt by yourself or you wanna make a rollbar out of PVC!:thumb: