Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wich maint. manual is better?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by surpip, Aug 20, 2004.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

well here is a good question tell me what you think

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm not voting, becuase I think both are good depending on what you're tackling.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Both brands are fair and really you'll need both for good coverage (Chilton's doesn't have electrical diagrams, Haynes does. Chilton's can be more mechanical that Haynes).

The best books are going to be the OE manuals from Helms, Inc. but they're expensive.

4. inscape

inscape Registered Member

Is there a manual for 1989 blazers? I only see it go to 87.

5. tbill

tbill Registered Member

For an 87 Blazer, the !987 Light Truck Shop Manual.

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

the up to 87 ones will cover they usualy say also blazer/jimmy suburban up to 91.

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I think either one is probably good, though I only have the Haynes manual. More people need to get these damn things and stop askings "what's the torque spec for _______?" There is a lot of basic info in the Haynes (and I'm sure the Chilton) and everyone with a truck should have one.

8. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

I got the complete dealer show manuals from this web site Helm Inc. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    You can get any dealer manual from chassie to electrical from them. Just put your year in and make and modle it will find all the manuals for your truck.

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Mitchell

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Mitchell

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I also like MOTOR....

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I dont care for the "Children's"manuals much,they have the wrong pictures for the captions half the time(like showing a TH400 and 208 transfer case adapter in the picture,and it says "manual transmission"!)and sometimes I've noticed they tell you to remove certain things that didnt have to be--I buy the books to save work,not create more!. I like the Motors manuals,Haynes is pretty good,they usually have wiring diagrams,another decent book was Clymer,not sure if they are still in bussiness or not.Nothing beats having an original GM parts counter book or service manual though--you can even find bolt sizes and thread pitch,and grade ratings for whatever you need to bolt together in there,plus awesome exploded diagrams of transfer cases,trannies,etc. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

12. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

Go to ebay and get a chassis service manual. I just won an auction for a manual for $15.50. I have had both of the manuals listed in your survey for various vehicles over the years, but nothing beats the chassis service manual direct from Chevy! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Have both but prefer the chiltons. But nothing beats the factory service manuals. Got a set from Helm Inc. I've you haven't got a set its one of the best 60 dollar investments I've made. Especially with the wire diagrams. Can't go wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I got the complete dealer show manuals from this web site Helm Inc. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    You can get any dealer manual from chassie to electrical from them. Just put your year in and make and modle it will find all the manuals for your truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't have mine /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

15. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If you call Helm Inc. they will give you a phone number to call that handles all the out of production manuals. That is what I had to do to get my 1975 stuff /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Chilton drives me insane because the index is so F***ed up. You can't look up "distributor" or something, you need to look under ignition (or whatever). I can't stand it because I can't find the most basic stuff. The older little white Chilton ones were decent, but I hate the new big ones.

17. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    another decent book was Clymer,not sure if they are still in bussiness or not

[/ QUOTE ]

Clymer is still in bussiness, they ARE the motorcycle repair manual, but like most the factory is better

i have a 75 GM servise manual, i actually like my haynes better. mainly because i don't have a 75 i have a 83 /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif. there are alot of things in the factory manual that not even close to the hayney though.