Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wich x-fer case do I have

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by madups311, Dec 2, 2001.

1. madups311

madups311 Registered Member

Hey, my trasfer case does not function properly and I either need to adjust it fix it or buy a new one, Well I have a 79 jimmy automatic Who can tell me what transfer case I have???
    Thanks

1979 Jimmy 4" skyjacker, add-a-leaf, 35" M/T's, Body Lift purchased.
    2001 Pathfinder LE Mile Marker Winch

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

New Process 203 transfer case, chain driven, cast iron, full time 4-wheel drive, with 2.01:1 low range. What seems to be wrong with it?

3. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

it could be a 203 or 205 but i am preatty sur that it is a 203, is it full time 4 wheel drive? if it is then it is a np203

hola

4. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

79 was the last year that they used a NP203 (aka boat anchor). They went to a NP205 in 1980 with a slip output. What shift patter is on the knob?

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Wheels on 12/02/01 09:39 PM.</FONT></P>

5. madups311

madups311 Registered Member

Well the 4WD only engages if I push the shifter as far forward as possible and keep full pressure on it otherwise it won't stay in 4WD, that's what makes me think that there is a problem in the linkage

1979 Jimmy 4" skyjacker, add-a-leaf, 35" M/T's, Body Lift purchased.
    2001 Pathfinder LE Mile Marker Winch

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If it wasn't for the 203 we couldn't build doublers...plus they are actually quite strong. Their one big drawback is weight.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I dunno, if this will help, but have at it!

"I ain't nobody, dork."
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

8. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

More than likely the holes are worn out where the linkage fits into, or the nuts on the levers coming out of the t-case are loose. You can adjust the linkage. Chiltons manual has a pretty good breakdown on this. And yes the range box on the 203 is the only good part on it. Don't get me wrong, the 203 is a little under rated but if you ever have the chain let loose on one, it's a long walk home, been there, done that, bought the t-shirt.

9. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

my buddy that has a 78 jimmy that did the same thing...let me tell you how fun it was to be the passenger in the mud and have to hold on with two hands and keep your foot on the t-case shifter so itll stay in 4wd...fixed it just by adjusting the linkage...his only started after the body lift...

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

After 1980, no K5 I know of would have a slip yoke 205. More than likely, they'd use the 208 or 241 in later years, instead.

Only thing I've seen a slip yoke 205 come from was 3/4 ton 4wd '80s trucks with manual trannies or TH 400s. I have only seen a few K30s in my whole life, but I'd assume that they had them too after '80.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

11. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

dont talk smack about the np203 its a great case. a chain is a normal wear item and most of them last 250K+ miles even under extreme abuse. Nobody ever thinks to maintain the t-case. maybe add oil once in a while and thats it. So you get what you had comin' if the chain breaks. would you take a 250K mile motor out on hard offroading trips? not without a new timing chain i hope &lt;/rant&gt;

Ill take a np203 over a 205 slipyoke ANYday

mike

12. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

hey
    good link
    i think i have seen that somewhere before

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Man your album is getting a lot of miles on it Michael![​IMG] You should get a royalty or something...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>