Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wide open problem after rebuild

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by blaz_mem, Sep 24, 2005.

1. blaz_mem

blaz_mem Registered Member

I have big problems. I just bored my block .40" over and put a GM3 turbo on it from a 6.5. I turned the pump up on it according to banks specs. I went to fire it up and it ran wide open I shut it off but it didnt stop. I pulled battery cables and disconnected the pump but it continued to run. Finally I had to crimp the fuel line from the filter to the pump for the engine to shut down. It ran like that for probably one to two minutes. Im kind of worried about it but it sure did sound good. Has this happened to anyone or any advice. :doah:

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Throttle linkage or problem with the IP maybe? I've heard you can kill a diesel dead by blocking the intake with something sturdy, but I guess a fuel line crimp did the job in your case.

I'd suspect you may have messed something up when you turned the pump up.

Rene

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Yup, something went wrong when you put the top cap back on after turning up the fuel screw. You have to be very carefull and pay close attention to the how it came off and put it back on exactly how it came off, or else it does what yours did, or so ive heard.

4. blaz_mem

I was thinking the same thing but wasnt sure. My linkages move freely. This isnt my first time to adjust the pump but I guess I must have done something different. I couldnt do any work today cause Rita was passing through,but hopefully I can do it first thing tomorrow. Thanks

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

When you reinstalled the top cover on the IP, you didn't get the fuel shut-off linkage in the right place. It's easy to do, and what happens, is that the fuel shut-off arm actually lodges the throttle in the wide-open position. It's very critical to install the top cover correctly to avoid your situation. What I find works well, is to set the cover onto the top of the pump, with the cover slid forward, and then I slide the cover backwards while holding the cover down, so that the cut-off arm engages the throttle linkage correctly. If you just set the cover straight down and bolt it on, you have a tendency to jam the linkage.

Casey

6. blaz_mem

That was my problem. I took the cap off and it was hard to get off because that arm was stuck so I repositioned it and it fired up and ran great today. Thanks