Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wide screen DVD's,do you guy's like them??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by boggerless, Aug 29, 2004.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

wide screen DVD\'s,do you guy\'s like them??

i think they suck, i have a 36in. TV and only get to watch 22in. of it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif BULL SH!T i says. LET ME SEE THE WHOLE FUKIN MOVIE DAMMIT /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif who else is with me?????? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Re: wide screen DVD\'s,do you guy\'s like them??

Actually if you watch a movie both ways you see more in winde screen because its wider...theyre both the same height, I used "A Few Good Men" as an example for the wife in the court scene in regular you only see Tom Cruise in wide screen ou can see that Demi Moore was still breast feeding /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

IU've got a 61" tv so it doesn't bother me at all.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i like to see more of the movie but i hate the little black bars at the top and bottom /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif so ya i hate the wide screen /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

some players seem to make the black area larger than others. I think anyway. I like widescreen, though I'd like a bigger TV. Do you think widescreen TVs have the black bars at the top and bottom of it?

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i like the side screen, i don't like the super wide screen, makes everything way too small. we have a 27" TV

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    LET ME SEE THE WHOLE FUKIN MOVIE DAMMIT

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhh, with the letterbox, you are seeing all of the film, at 4:3 you;re missing things off to the side

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

OAR is the ONLY way to watch a film. Anything else is poop. Assuming the film is created in "widescreen" it MUST be viewed in widescreen in order to be fully appreciated, otherwise you are missing significant information from the sides. Here are some great examples... with widescreen being demonstably superior...

sample 1

sample 2

btw, you yahoos who buy "standard" 4:3 versions of films on DVD are going to look like real idiots when, in the near future, widescreen TVs become the only type you can buy and all of your old dvds have bars on the left and right sides...

j

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I hate the little black bars at the top and bottom /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've seen more than one than once in 4:3 where you are wondering who they are yelling at /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif when in widescreen you know /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i think they suck, i have a 36in. TV and only get to watch 22in. of it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif BULL SH!T i says. LET ME SEE THE WHOLE FUKIN MOVIE DAMMIT /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif who else is with me?????? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]The next TV I buy will be a wide screen, so I don't mind the movies in that format.

12. boggerless

most movies that are twelve years old are new to me,i'm an out door guy and don't watch much TV. i call it the IDIOT BOX . i figure when i'm to old or crippled up to do sh!t i'll have that as entertainment. i still don't know why i got a 36in. TV, maybe to see the weather channel better from the kitchen? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

13. boggerless

lucky dog /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif my friend mike has a 56in. and talks alot of sh!t BUT his is rear projection so if your not right in front of it ,the screen gets grey and hazy.HA HA (how much did you pay for that POS???). /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I won't watch a movie in fullscreen. I've got a widescreen tv and the bars on the side annoy me, and I won't watch a streched image.

15. boggerless

DEMI"S BREASTES'SES and stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

16. boggerless

exactly those stupid black bars,i keep looking at them thinking there should be a part of the movie there.so i spend 1/3 of the movie wondering why? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

17. boggerless

hey,TJ how about old cowboy movies like clint eastwood stuff, in panaramac view? in the begining and the end of the movie the people are twelve foot tall. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

18. boggerless

that's funny two different TV's , two different bitches. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif i try to buy DVD's that fit my TV but not all of them come that way. i do like the ones that give you a choice. just flip it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

19. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

nope! GOT TO HAVE the widescreen! Fullscreen sucks!
    I'd reather watch widescreen on a 21in tv then fullscreen on a 36" tv /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

20. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

We have an entertainment center with a fixed width for a TV, so I figured I'd go with a wide screen TV. When I did the math I figured out the picture would be larger on the biggest standard TV I could fit versus the wide screen TV.

For the longest time I didn't know that fullsize meant the stuff on the sides got cut off. Now that I know that I won't take anything but widescreen.

But it is time for a bigger TV.