Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wide tires on skinny rims?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by backyardbuilt, Sep 14, 2002.

1. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I know tires should be on a rim plus or minus 1" of the width of the tire. But what are the affects or problems with running say a 18" wide tire on a 10" rim.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

im running a 13in wide tire on a 6.75in rim and have had no problems even when aired down to 8psi /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Only problem I see is the tire crowning and wearing out the center faster than the sides.

4. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Lots of people run 18" wide boggers on 10" rims with no problems. Mine are on 12" wide rims and doing just fine.

5. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I have 15" wide swampers on 8.25" rims. I don't run them on the street, so I can't comment there, but off road they tend to roll around a bit more, and wrinkle a lot more. Granted, I do run them at 5-6 lbs. These are just observations from comparing mine to other people w/ the same tires and slightly wider rims. I don't think there are really any problems w/ doing this, I don't think it makes that big of a difference.

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i saw a ford one time with 44x19.5" boggers and custom made 19.5" wide wheels. what's the advantage to that? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

7. Pure Insanity

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    i saw a ford one time with 44x19.5" boggers and custom made 19.5" wide wheels. what's the advantage to that?

[/ QUOTE ] 99.5% of it cool factor. To me, I would run wide for stability. When I went from 10 to 12 I could feel a difference. Later I swapped rears in my FS Jeep and the new one was 3 3/4 in wider. I could feel that difference too. A few of my buddies have run 18s before w/ 44s, one guy did it for stability and the other guy did it also for stability, but his Yota would actually FLOAT in water w/ a 14 wide. So it floated higher on the 18s by displacing more air. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

I am not BSing either, I have talked to numerous people that seen his rig do it, and seen the videos of him spinning it by leaning against it in a lake!

8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i wanna see!! that sounds cool! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif thanks for the info.

9. Pure Insanity

IF I can get ahold of him Ill see what I can do. He was transferred to somewhere in north Fla about 8 months ago when his company was bought out and Ive lost touch w/ him. Can a tape be made into a movie viewable on a computer? All I can do is call the company he works for and try to get the # for the office he runs.

The very 1st time it floated he almost rolled it in a river. Thats when he learned it would float. He was crossing a river and when he hit the deepest point he was going down river! Scared his dad so bad he bailed out of the truck into the river. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif It bounced off a few rocks and stopped and he was able to get out of the river. He never crossed a river again after that. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I have 15" wide TSLs on 10" wide wheels and for my next tires I plan on getting 18" wide Boggers and keeping my same wheels. I've seen a lot of people run this combination.

Will

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm running 42x15x15(.5?) TSLs on 8" rims and I love it. I've found I can run as low as 5-6 psi and not loose a bead. We rolled one sidewall all the way under to the bead on Upper Helldorado and it never leaked a bit. On the roads, it would cause the tire to wear more in the center if you run much pressure. Might be able to cancel some of the affects by running lower pressure but not sure what other negative side effects you would see. For instance, I expect that running low pressure regularly on the highway might lead to separation or cupping. For a toy, I highly recommend it...

12. backyardbuilt

Sounds good to me I just got a set of 16.5x9.75 rims from a friend for free to fit my 14ff when I get it in and I am going to run 39.5 boggers. Thanks for the Info.

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Well, sorry to say but, don't try the low pressure on 16.5s regardless of how narrow they are. IMO, you won't be able to run under 15 or so without blowing beads. But, I've never run them, just going on what I've seen, heard, and guess work...

14. backyardbuilt

Wasn't going to run low pressure heard all the horror stories to just wanted to make sure I could run the tires I want or if I should sell the rims and get new ones when I get the tires. Thanks