Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wider tires in place of spacers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Guy, Jul 9, 2000.

1. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

I knew something was out of proportion w/ my '79. I couldn't imagine why the front looked wider than the back. Now that I've read some posts, and looked at the "Space" product info, it all makes sense. Now some questions.

1) Why? Why in the world did they make the back axle narrower?

2) Is it on all GM corporate axles. If replace my 12 bolt with a Dana something does the problem go away?

3) Can I use wider tires on the rear than the front? Does this cause any problems. Dually's would appear to give a wider footprint on the rear, and I assume that works OK, so wouldn't 1.5" wider tires on the rear work too?

Thanks,

Mr. Kim

7 Chiln - 1 Blazer

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

1)who the hell knows

2)all GM axles were like this

3)i always wondered about this too. like having 35x12.5's up front, and 35x14.5's in the back. does anyone else see a problem with this?

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

1) Someone posted a long time ago that it could probably be so that rear tires had "fresh" mud to grip onto instead of falling into the ruts of the front tires.

2) I don't know

3) I've wanted to do that myself, but don't know. I think it's possible since Steve (coloradok5) used spacers to align them with the front ones.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

4. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

What I'v seen people do here is use 10" rims back and 8" front. Then you can go as high as 33"12,5 and it will look alright.

<font color=blue>Espen88k5 at:http://www.espen.coloradok5.com</font color=blue>

5. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

Running 1.5" spacers like Steve, worth every single cent.

1. Looks much better.
    2. lines up front and rear wheels, lots smoother ride on hwy
    and u doubble the chance to hit the same rock with front
    and rear tire offroad.

Balou
    "Size DOES matter!!!", said the girl last night.
    http://www.balou.coloradok5.com

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Using 10" rims back and 8" front won't work. Also, 12.5" wide tires in front and 14.5" wide in back won't work either b/c what do you do when its time to rotate the tires? just wondering. I guess I can see with the rims, you will have to take the tires off the rim to rotate, but who wants to do that.
    Boss

7. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Who rotates the tires anyway? just kidding. A tire-shop will change them over for you if you ask. It's not that expensive.

<font color=blue>Espen88k5 at:http://www.espen.coloradok5.com</font color=blue>

8. Glenn

Glenn Registered Member

The reason the back axle is not as wide as the front is so that it can follow the front axle better down the road. Spacers are bad for wheel bearings. Do you think GM is dumb like ford?
    They know what there doing.

9. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

The reason they make the rear axle narrower i believe is that it would have a smaller turning radius.I have spacers on my rear and it tracks better down the round.A lot less swapping of the rear end side to side movment from it going from one rut too the other.