Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Widescreen Movies on a Widescreen TV

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Nov 19, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Do the black bars remain on top and bottom of the movie? My parents are looking at getting a Plasma TV for the new house and this is one of the things I'm thinking about.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

On my 57" Widescreen you can adjust that. There's a button on the remote that changes your screen size setting.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Widescreen tv with a widescreen movie should not have noticable bars at top or botom. You can select aspect ratio to correct this. Normal tv will have them on the sides. I prefer the DLP to the plasma. DLP is faster reacting most of the time, and a 20% pixel loss on a plasma is considerer within spec.

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

plasmas are the Sh*t!! :bow: wish we had one

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

DLP looks great, and much like it would be MY choice, but my parents planned on a Plasma TV I believe. They want to mount it on the wall right above the mantle of the fireplace.

its hard to say, we are going to go to Best Buy and see what is most visually appealing. My eyes are very sensitive to display images so I can pick out whats good and bad easily. I can't view a computer monitor set to 60hz refresh rate for an extended period of time, the blur and flicker hurts my eyes.

7. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

We just got a 32" LDC HD Flat Widescreen and love it, It was half the price of the same size plasma and after 15 min fiddleing with the setings n the store it was just as clear as the plasma. Funny thing is next day I went back to show it to the wife and the settings were all junked up again, I think the set the cheaper TV's worse so they can upsell you.

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

yes they will, i found out by reading the labels, that the aspect ratio is still different than the widescreen tv's are, honestly though, you will not be dissapointed, even with them on top and bottom, they are not usually very big, and some movies are even setup to use the whole screen.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah 16:9 is general standard but it isn't a standard. Many movies are stupid things like 17:8 or other crap. I really wish they'd standardize already.

Problem I see with LCD is the black issue. From what I read they have issues displaying deep black. Have you experienced this?

That and looking through everything the Magnavox I listed seems to have the best options for the lowest price.

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Exactly, I can toggle through 3 widescreen modes (+1 regular TV) from my remote. I just look for the one with the least distorstion, usually I end up w/ a small black line at the top and bottom.

11. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I don't have a Plasma screen, i have the DLP unit made by Mitsubishi, i love this thing, it unfortunately does not have the H.D. tuner built in, but the picture even without it is just awsome, can't wait to see what it's like when i DO get the convertor.

mine displays ALL colors with awsome quality, blacks are well,,,BLACK, and all other colors are very clear and sharp.

12. jolane

jolane 1/2 ton status

The difference is that cimena screen, like you would see in a movie theatre, is NOT 16:9 (typical "widescreen" TV). This is why you still have black line top and bottom with movies on a widescreen tv. I forget the actual ratio of a movie theatre, but it is something like a standard TV just twice as wide (4:3, 2X wide). Anyways, most TV's can stretch/crop a movie to adjust for this, but then the movie does not look exactly like it was intended. This may not be a big deal to most, I certainly don't care.
    As for DLP versus Plasma versus LCD, I personally am looking as getting a Sharp Aquos LCD, 45". Plasma is known to burn in when using it with video games, and even while watching sporting events such as racing, where a constant image might be on the screen (say the score, or a sponsor logo, or something). I personally really like the sharpness of the LCD.
    I hope this helps a little,
    Joshua

13. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I've been shopping around and like the picture on the Phillips sets so much better than any of the others.