Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

width of rim

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88-3/4t-bad boy, Sep 4, 2006.

1. 88-3/4t-bad boy

88-3/4t-bad boy 1/2 ton status

i have 16x8 outlaw II's. no more money for wider rims. but do i need wider rims for bigger tires? i mean there are huge tires for 15x8 rims. but i havent been able to find tires big enough for me for my 16x8. im looking at anywhere from 39.5's to 42's. im a noob on the whole tire thing. so any information that you guys can give me would be.... well... greaat. any information. :o :confused:

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

a good rule of thumb for matching tires to wheels is to not go more than 4 inches wider on the tire then the rim. an example would be a 33/12.5-16 would be at the upper limit of width for a 8 inch wheel. super swamper makes a few tall skinny tires. or buy weld on beadlocks. they will make your rims wider. good luck.

3. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Weld on beadlocks won't work. The Outlaw II is an Aluminum rim.

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

There are companies that make weld on beadlocks for aluminum but they aint cheap. Also I disagree with the 4" max difference. If you air down at all a 12.5 on a 10" rim will loose the bead quite a bit. I run 15X8 and I have plans to run 42s on these same rims. A narrow rim acts like a poor mans beadlock. Yes you will get some tread crowning but with a tire that large you should not run 30# on the street anyway. I run 25 in my 37X12.5s and they work just fine with little to no crowning. There are guys out there running 44s or larger on stock width Hummer rims.

Ira

5. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Its called "A good rule of thumb" not the law. the more matched a tire is to a rim the more stable it is. A narrow wheel will allow your tire to roll under easier. I used to run 35/12.5-15 on a 10 inch wheel. I would air down to 2-3 psi and never lost a bead. the outlaw II has an internal bead lock built into it. its a small ridge that runs the circumference just inside where the bead mounts. just because you can mount a 44 on a hummer rim does not mean its the proper set up. Your tire is held on your rim with the same amount of pressure regardless if its a 8 or 10 inch wheel. think about it 10 psi is 10 psi:doah: thats 10 pounds of pressure on every square inch of tire. there is also a larger volume of air in a wider rim setup requiring slightly less pressure to hold up the same weight. rim width is a factor in losing beads when you go too wide with the rim and the tire itself is pulling away from the bead. Find a local tire shop that does nothing but tire and pick there brains. not somewhere that also does service, a true tire shop, they will point you in the right direction. sanddawgk5 is letting his opinion get in the way of sound advice.

6. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Panties twisted?

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Never claimed it was sound advice there shippy. All advice is generally opinion and no 1 piece wheel has an internal beadlock. That rim has a "safety bead" which does help keep the bead seated but will not keep the tire from spinning on the rim so it aint locked. But to each his own if you wanna dump a grand on new wheels just to run wider tires cause someone says "you have to" then go right ahead:rolleyes: .

Ira

8. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I'm going to run 15 wide TSL's with a 8" wide rim with beadlocks.

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

One thing you're forgetting is that each tire has an "at rest" bead width. If that width is wider than the rim then there is a force from the tire itself trying to open up the distance btwn the beads. Depending on the particular tire in question this could range from insignificant to significant.

I'm not so sure that the greater load capacity is entirely due to the greater air volume. I'm pretty sure that sidewall orientation plays a big part in this. Seems that the more vertical the sidewall is the more load it can carry w/o deforming (bulging) the tire. If greater air volume was all that is required then Class 8 truck tires would be huge balloons.

This goes back to my first point.