Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wield in Panels

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JakeGun, Jan 22, 2002.

1. JakeGun

JakeGun Registered Member

I have been think on how to fix my slight rust problem... Has anyone ever tried those wield in panels and parts they have in the LMC catalog or in JC Whitney. I figure that they will need some fitting. Any help would be apprecated.

Will aka JakeGun
    1979 Chevy Blazer, 350, Custom Lift, Locker, 33's.

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I have not used either (yet I will be trying lmc's panels above the rear wheels) but hear that the lmc panels are better then some of the jc whitney's panels....mike

3. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Yep, used the repair panels from LMC to fix the rust problems in both my footwells. They worked just fine, although they _seemed_ to be made from thinner metal than stock. Once they were welded into place, they seem plenty sturdy. And they fit-up just fine.

Robb
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>'73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI</a>

4. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

I used rocker panels from JC Whitney the metal gauge was fairly close to factory, I had to do a "little" grinding on them
    to make them fit right other than that they fit good and lined
    up well.......

*wink*

my 79 rust bucket will run over your 2001 chevy 4X4 tahoe plastic wagon

5. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

no experience with jc whitney, but i cant recommend lmc floor boards. the ones i received were absolute crap. thin as paper and didnt fit worth a darn. best solution is to fab some up with thicker sheet metal in my opinion. i did have great success with their front rear quarter patches though, probably a different supplier.
    craig

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.plymouthscreenprinting.com>www.plymouthscreenprinting.com</a>

6. how long did it take you to do each foot well. looks like from your pics you did the kick panel and half the floor board? did you overlap the new panel onto the old metal a little or cut out exact and have a but joint? did you do the rockers too? thanks,

jason

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

7. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Sorry, but can't recall how long it took to do them, as we were working on several areas at once. We did lap welds wherever we could, since they are easier to work with and don't require as precise a fit.

Didn't do the whole rockers since they weren't too bad. Just a couple of small patches that were on the inside of the rockers.

BTW, I like your quote; it reminds me of a friend in the construction biz, who says "The difference between an amateur and a professional is that a professional knows how to fix his own mistakes."[​IMG]

Robb
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>'73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI</a>

8. so when you cut in your kick panels did you make your seem up high where the plastic trim would cover it?

yeah, i tell the guys at work that a good carpenter knows the 3 Fs:

Fix
    F*ck ups
    Fast

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

9. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I picked up floors and rockers from Raybuck. 'Haven't installed them yet but the floors seem to be the same gage as the OE.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

10. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Nope. Just separated the kick panel at the stock seam and replaced the whole piece. It was pretty tricky though, trying to get everything separated at the bottom where it has (working from memory again) three panels seamed together. Not much fun, but it came out OK.[​IMG]

Robb