Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wierd electrical problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the excuse, May 20, 2004.

1. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

sometimes when i press the brakes the turn signals indicators in the dash will light up and the front lights will go on too. the lights arent blinking they just light up and go off when i let off the brake. if i pull out the emergency flashers button then put it back in the problem is fixed, untill some random time when it decides to start again. what is wrong with it? it has also developed a new problem when going over bumps in the dirt sometimes the right turn indicator will start to light up but in very rapid blinks as if a wire was rubbing to make it light up. the blinks almost go with the bumps, every shake causes it to light up. my turn signal lever is cracked inside but i cant see how this has to do with the brake lights causeing the turn signals to go off. would fixing the turnsignal lever fix my problem? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

It could be the turn signal switch,or a flasher crapping out--also check for bad ground wires near the side markers and taillights,and make sure the two filaments in the bulbs themselves arent broken and touching the other one--I've had lots of similar problems like yours,usually its the bulbs or ground wires(or corroded sockets).Hope its not the switch--good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I would bet you have the same problem as me. I've got the front left turn signal coming on when I hit the brakes, and the right rear flashing when I hit the left turn signal. If I mess with the hazard switch, then everything goes out until I get it back in just the right position.

So I busted out the multimeter, found all the wiring to be fine. Things are crossing over in the switch, for me at least. So I ordered this clicky , and am waiting for it to arrive.

For further troubleshooting, disconnect the big wiring harness where it all goes up into the column, and test at both connectors, to see if the problems are in the column, or the rest of the truck.

4. the excuse

oh and i forgot sometimes when i use the horn the right indicator will go on, im not sure if the tail light is goin on aswell.

5. the excuse

i got a blinker swich and new flashers im going to try to install them. ill let you know how it works.