Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wierd fuel leak

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Hunden, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Hunden

Hunden Registered Member

Ok just let me start by saying I do not smoke crack..
    I was going down the road, and switched tanks. When I did smoke came from under the hood. I pulled over and furl was spraying from the bottom of the injector. Switched fuel tanks it stopped. Switched back it leaks. I mean leaks.
    Now the fuel tank that it leaks on is full the other is 1/4 i can find no logical reaon why it would leak on one and not the other??? It is definetely coming from the injector though.
    Thanks Damon
    84 6.2 Silverado /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Wow!!! That's strange. It sounds like a faulty injector line/fuel pressure combination, but I have no idea why it would only occur while getting fuel from a specific tank. I'm looking forward to see what others have to say.

Unless for some reason you're getting too much pressure from one tank- but that's impossible as far as I can see....

3. Hunden

Hunden Registered Member

I looked at it again, just to make sure I am not crazy.. The engine was off, I turned on the key and switched tanks, presto it starts leaking?? How if it goes through the injector pump???? There must be a leak at the injector, and one tank has more pressure. HOW???
    i am going to pull off the injector and replace the gasket. I will let you know tommorow night after I am done.
    Thanks Damon

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Could one of the fuel tank return lines have clogged - causing one of the injector return lines to rupture?

5. Hunden

Hunden Registered Member

It's not the return line, It is LEAKING.... I think it is coming from in between the injector and the metal line that comes into it from the pump. An O ring or something, but why only on one tank? I am going to see if the gas cap flies off and hits me in the head when I take it off tommorow..

6. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

The only thing I can think of is that you have a blocked return line to the tank that causes the leak. If the fuel return line to that tank is blocked then it would cause the pressure in the whole fuel system to rise. Thats all I can figure.

7. Hunden

Hunden Registered Member

Where would I look for that?
    Thanks

8. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

I would follow the return line that goes to the tank and look for places where its kinked or pinched.

9. Hunden

Hunden Registered Member

Ok I figured out where the leak is coming from, It is coming from one of the nipples on the injector. There is no hose connected to it???
    So I am going to cap it untill I can figure out where is was supposed to go
    I am guessing the overflow.
    Thanks DAmon

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well this is just a guess here but would it be the return line to the tank that is having the leak? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Sorry, I just remembered how many times that happened to me.
    I mean answers right there in front of me and me so blind...
    IceMan

11. Hunden

Hunden Registered Member

I just capped it off, that's what the other side has is a cap. Now they match and no leak..

12. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

DO NOT just cap both sides, you need somewhere for the leak off fuel to go, if it has no where to go, it will either pop the cap off and start leaking again, or it will affect the performance of the injector because it will have a hydraulic lock on the back of the needle valve in the injector.

13. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The rear injectors on both sides of the engine have caps on them. This is factory. The fuel is returned through the front of the motor. There is a line that connects the front injector on each bank to the hard steel line that is also connected to the return line coming out of the top of the injection pump. This line then in turn goes to the fuel tank valve underneath the truck, which then splits and goes to each tank.

Casey

14. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

After reading again, I think that BlueBlazer thought that Hunden meant that he capped off both nipples on the same injector, when I think he meant that he capped off the rear nipple on the rear-most injector, just as the injector on the other side of the motor also is capped.

Casey

15. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Yes, I thought he was capping off both nipples on the rear injector, obviously a big no-no. Sorry for the confusion.

16. Hunden

Hunden Registered Member

Thanks Guys yes I capped rearmost nipple, works fine now.
    I am going to be selling my turck. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I need to make the house payment.. Its in CA 3500.00 does that sound like a reasonable price?
    Thanks