Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wierd homemade body lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stick, May 2, 2005.

1. stick

stick Registered Member

today a new guy started at work. he came to work in a 79 chevy short box with alot of lift . i was looking at it when i got there and his body lift is made of chunks of 3x3 square tubing. is this weird to any one else?

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Sounds too me like it should be removed from the road. It could be safe i suppose if it was all boxed and installed properly with the correct hardware

3. stick

stick Registered Member

i could see the bolts though the hollow tube.

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

:haha: :haha: :haha: my friend used hockey pucks. :laugh: :laugh:

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

1 thing to say buy the kit or dont do it at all. to much bad crap on the road now. p.s. dont ride in his crap also.

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

IMHO....it can't be safe.

7. stick

stick Registered Member

i would think that the bolts could shear off at any time , like when turning.

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Was it like this? This is factory on my '05:

[​IMG]

9. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm,
    Well I used 2x3 1/4 thick to finish my body lift. I got the idea from a truck we junked out, this set up was on the core support and cab, the bed was all wood (lifted with 2x4's), so I took them off and just bought enough steel to do my bed. I used good bolts and I like it better then the plastic kits you buy, but just my 0.02. I've put this truck in some pretty bad twisting postions and not had a problem.Although I haven't jumped it yet either ( need longer front shackles) lol. I've had this set up for a couple years now with no problems. Then again my truck was orginal 2wd truck and instead of trying to put a front axle inunder the 2-by frame, I just opted to put my body on a 4x chassis. And had to make a body lift to compensate for the low trans. tunnel. I figure I'll get "blasted" for not spending money to "buy" a "kit" that has a fancy name onit. But it works for me. Just my $0.02

10. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

Why not just use 3x3 pine from OSH or 2x4s? Cheaper. Body lifts over an inch in my opinion are crap. :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

11. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I have heard of someone local use boat trailer rollers on their toyota :eek1: :rotfl:

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Mine had blocks...

The genius who had my 74 K20 before me made his own 3 inch body lift out of solid aluminum square stock 3" thick!--the rear cab supports I had to replace with steel square tubing,the kind they use on street sign posts,galvanized,because I could not get the bolts out of them when I went to fix my cab floors--I never took them out completely,because the 2wd cab needed the lift to clear the transfer case...I took them out last week,the truck is in 100 peices,going to the crusher. :frown1: --I never had any trouble with the blocks or body lift,other than the fact you will NEVER get those bolts out of the aluminum blocks without drilling them!--they are ONE now,thanks to electrolisis... :crazy:

13. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Would it really be that bad if you used like some 2" square with like 1/4" wall and capped the ends to make squares?? I mean it seems like it would be stronger than the plastic pucks that come with the kits, but the pucks are solid so that might have alot to do with it. Just a thought :D

14. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

When i bought my truck it had 2X3 aluminum square tube on it for a body lift. The PO didnt even put the rear most body support in so when i look at the rear it is actually angled down. The bottom on my bed is all rust with holes and didn't have much support due to rust, so i opted to take the bodylift out. Being the smart kid i am i didnt take out the clutch linkage and ruined my clutch. Got a new clutch and found out my liankge was the wrong size so i had to make a new one it still isnt the right size and my linkage isnt factory. Its been an 8month ordeal and still going :mad: But atleast i have a safer truck.

Later

15. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

We really don't play hockey down here, so it may seem like a stupid question, but what is a hockey puck made of and how tall are they?