Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wierd Idea

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

In the future I'm planning on having a custom prerunner style front bumper with winch mount, and skid plate made for my K5. Now I've been thinking that with 8" of total lift, and large tires like 38's, that my head lights are going to be pretty high. So I'm thinking of mounting a second set of head lights in the lower part of the prerunner front bumper, and wireing them with the regular head lights. Wired so they all work together, want hi beams and low beams all to work together. Any opinions ???? This will be for on road use. Thinking a set from a snow plow set up would work good. Just not useing the switch that shuts off the regular head lights. What do you think ???

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like it would work... but do you think the stock headlight switch can handle the extra draw? That, and I would look at your local laws... I know IL only allows 4 driving lights to be lit at one time on the front of a vehicle. Will your local authorities really care about your head light height when they see the 8" of lift and your bumper height? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

-Dan

3. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Will your local authorities really care about your head light height when they see the 8" of lift and your bumper height?

[/ QUOTE ]

No laws regulating lift or bumper height in South Dakota. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My K5 is a 76, so it's only got 2 head lights as it is, with the extra set will make 4 total. The idea with the custom built prerunner style front bumper is to also have a skid plate. The lowest point on it will be low enough to the ground to make it nice and leagle with the hight laws. Same thing will be done with the rear bumper. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

But they have laws about head light height? Thats goofy...

-Dan

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

No laws regulating lift or bumper height in South Dakota.

[/ QUOTE ] But I will be in Neb. and Iowa, aswell as Wy, and Colorado quite often, and I don't know thier laws on bumper hight.

7. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Nebraska and Wyoming don't have any laws either. Not sure on Iowa and Colorado. Nebraska good-No lift laws or emissions...Nebraska bad-no rocks or trails. Go figure.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yeah, but you're not too far from the Black Hills, so you can get some rocks and trails if ya want. </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Nebraska bad-no rocks or trails.

[/ QUOTE ]

9. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Very true. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

No laws on head light hight, I just want better on road lighting.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

So do you think adding another set of head lights and mounting them low will help out with the on road lighting ???? Anybody ???

12. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

IA doesn't have any lift regs. Changed it back a few yrs ago. (Thank You, state regulators /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

How about running the plow lights low, and then adding a set if driving lights in the stock location? Run the switch to the plow lights, and then have the ability to switch on the aux lights when needed. Could be spots or floods, depending on how you use the beast the most. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

13. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Any set of 55 Watt driving lamps should do the trick for you. Mount them under the bumper, or somewhere closer to the ground. IIRC 55 watts is the max for low beam.

14. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

... but do you think the stock headlight switch can handle the extra

[/ QUOTE ]

Use a relay Heck I went to relays on halogens on a car I used to drive with 12 guage straight fromt he battery and the rangers were always harrasing me about needing to adjust my headlights, never ticketed me though when I explained what I did.

15. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I know mounting the light lower will make it easier to see. The light angle has alot to do with how they work. I have the same problem. 10" lift and 44's. In new york, it's legal to mount plow lights under bumper to use as lights. But they ust be aimed according to our laws and also MUST be switched from regular lamps. In other words i have to switch from one lamp system to other. NOT both. Excessive illumination!! I don't know If that will be a legal issue for you. Also over here it is illegal to run driving lights with the high beams on. same deal, excessive illumination! by law, over here, driving lights have to be wired so they ONLY work with the low beams. How Stupid!!