Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wierd sounds...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84k5, Jul 2, 2003.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I'm hearing popping sounds coming from the passenger side, middle of the truck. I initially thought it was coming from the seat, but I can see anything there that would make a noise this loud. More and more it sounds like its coming from under the truck, but only when cornering at speed. Ideas?? Everything looked ok after a quick visual inspection. TIA.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Body mounts? </font>

3. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

After a second look I think I found my noise: loose crossmember bolts.

However, I was looking at the body mounts as Shaggy suggested and the passanger front most one, under the radiator is loose. Like I can easily spin the bolt in my hand and there is like 1/4" play loose. I can't figure out how to get a wrench on the top of it. How do you get to this thing?

Also, does everyone have a problem with the crossmember bolts coming loose. I realized this was not the first time I've has this happen. It has the lowering kit on it.

Thanks.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Front crossmember/body mounts are accessed through the front of the core support. Gotta pull the grill to get to them, and then you've gotta get a socket somehow on it. PITA for me to find the right tools to do it.

You may want to fully remove them instead of just tightening them. It's not common for them to loosen up from what I've seen...it's more common for the mount to work loose/rust out, or the bolt to rust through.

When I replaced all my body mounts, I slathered the bolts in disk brake grease, and drilled holes in the bottom of all the cup shaped washers, so the bolts wouldn't be soaking in water all the time, and if they DID get wet, at least they'd have some protection.

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

&lt; had loose crossmember bolts making a popping noise under accelleration and on slow cornering...mine has the stock spacers between the frame and member on oneside, but not on the other... stupid PO...

6. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

ok...All the bolts in the suspension are tight and the I tightened the crossmember bolts. Also tightened the loose body mount. Body shop had done work on that side so I assume thats why it was loose.

The body mount that is near where the sound is does have some cracks in it (original rubber mount). But they are small, the bolt is tight, and I honestly don't know why it would make a popping sound.

Any more ideas?? It's driving me insane. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif