Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wierd stalling problem

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by eightyone, Jun 11, 2006.

1. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

i have a 94 6.5 turbo, with ssds intake exaust and chip, i have had all that on there for over 30k miles. the truck has 135k on it now. yesterday i was driving, and it started to feel liek i was running out of fuel, but i had over a half tank, then it stalled out, so i fired it back up. it drove fine for a little while longer, and then did the same thing. i decided to head home, just in case. about 2 miles from my house, it wouldnt rev, it idled fine, but would not rev at all no matter how hard i hit the throttle. then it would only rev to 2 grand, and dump out blue, black and white smoke. i am talkin DUMPING out. liek smoking the whole street out. but still wouldnt rev over 2 grand. so i am thinking, it blew up. headgasket, rings, the whole nine yards. so i shut it down and call my friend for a tow, we tow it to my house. we get to the end of my driveway where we would have to push it, so i fire it up, and it runs perfect, drive it around the block, still perfect. i leave it over night with the baterys disconnected, thinking i could reset the computer. i stared it this morning, and it started liek crap, and idled wierd. oil and antifreeze were fine. i drove it around the block for about 20 minutes, and it ran fine for about 19 minutes. then it crapped out again. any ideas what the problem could be? i thought it could be injectors or fuel filter, but they have all been replaced at about 100k. and that wouldnt explain the white and blue smoke, would it? thanks for any help. i will have to ride my biek to work untill i figure this out.:doah:

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

to the top...

I'm not very experienced with newer diesels and turbos, but I read about a think called a "PMD" that overheats and causes the injector pump to freak out..its an electical module of some sort--from what I've read they overheat due to poor mounting location,and it causes a lot of weird drivability problems--IF it lets it start!..someone here will have a better answer than me..if not,maybe "google" will help...another site is www.dieseldoctor.com its probably what is wrong in your case..doesn't take much diesel fuel to make tons of smoke if its timing is off,or is getting too much fuel.....good luck..

3. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

thanks for the reply...i have the remote mount for the pmd. i figured it would be a fuel problem, except for the white and blue smoke situation.

4. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

maybee the map sensor? no one has any ideas!!