Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wierd ticking

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brady, May 14, 2000.

1. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

My wifes '79 Sub has a wierd ticking coming from what sounds like the trans(350TH).It comes and goes and disappears when you are in gear and get moveing.I replaced the pump seal and the flexplate about two monthes ago.It has a rebuilt 400 sb.anyone had this problem before?Maybe it is the transfer(203)?Brady

2. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

i had an odd ticking that came and went, thought it was the tranny too, ended up being the fuel pump starting to go bunk....
    good luck.

3. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

Just wondering if maybe your Wife's Subs' U joints need replacing-- mine are on the way out-- welll, they are out-- but The sound makes a kinda clicking noise / like something that has become loose over the years of wheelin'!

...and it happens when you are just about to put it in gear--then on certain cornering moves it starts again...

check them-- it's probably that-- if not0-- see if something in the driveline hitting the Exhaust tubes or maybe the frames' torsion bars???

I'd like to know what you find out..

-_DeeVee8_

"The one who blows their horn the loudest, is usually in the thickest fog".-- [​IMG]

4. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Hayduke was your fuel pump an electric or one that is on the motor?Never heard a mechanical pump tick before only electric ones.Maybe though.Brady

5. 72junker

72junker Registered Member

I'll be the 1st to admit I don't know much, but...
    My J**p has a funny sound in park and nuetral, but not in gear and a friend who's a mechanic listened to it and suggested that I check the flywheel to see if it's loose or cracked. I haven't checked yet, but it's worth a shot.

6. Nate87k5

Nate87k5 Registered Member

I'm with junker. I had a weird ticking coming from the Tranny area that I could not for the life of me figure out where it was coming from. Use to come and go. Took it into the shop....Ended up that the flywheel(flexplate) was cracked(hair line) at two locations. Replaced it...Problem solved....

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

if you have recently removed the trans, recheck the torque converter bolt. the have a tendency to back out. if they are loose, reinstall with 242loctite. if the bolts aren't loose, get a small mirror and check the flexplate for cracks. I have seen fuel pumps make "knocking" noises too. when the fuel pump return spring is worn or weak, it allows the fuel pump pushrod to float agianst the cam. If your sure of where the noise is, from the trans, check the bolts.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

8. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

That's what happened to mine. The torque converter boltes were loose. It was a loud clicking that changed with RPM.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

9. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I replaced the flexplate 2 months ago.I pulled the inspection cover and check the torque convertor bolts they were tight. also checked bell housing bolts they were fine.the flexplate I replaced was in about 15 pieces.I replaced it with a 350 flexplate.Big mistake I was told by previos owner that the motor was a rebuilt 350.This took out the tranny pump seal.I pulled the tranny and replaced the seal and ran the motor no. I found that it is a 400.Rplaced flexplate with 400 plate.Was fine for the last two months now this ticking noise.will check flexplate again.Don't want to replace it again but what to do.Brady

10. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

I had a ticking problem in a '76 Buick Electra (demolition derby car) with a TH400 trans - it would quit ticking when I put it in gear. Turned out that I needed to change the trans fluid and filter - the previous owner had never done it. The pump was not getting enough fluid because the filter was clogged. This can ruin the pump. But if you've serviced the trans lately, I doubt this is the problem.

Later!

Richard
    '76 K-5 Blazer
    '90 K-5 Blazer

11. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

My neighbor's '73 K5 had an odd clicking too, turns out it was the seal protector (that's spot welded onto the transfer case front output yoke) was loose (the spot welds had broken) causing the clicking noise. Re-spot weld it and no more clicking. Give it a look!

ken