Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wierd vibrations

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newyorkin, Aug 27, 2001.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I just took the K5 on about 600-700 mile trip on vacation, and got some funky noises/vibrations for a short while during it.

After we were up there for about 2 days, we did a 1 1/12 hour run up to the mountains to see some family, then on the way back, I hit a couple wake-up strips. Very normal for me, so nothing odd about that. But at one point, I went on the strips, then came off, and the truck kept making the noise and vibrating. I figured the road just changed and got rougher, until I slowed down to 55 and it went away, then came back at 65, and felt like we were about to explode at 70. We made it home doing 55 for another hour (agony), I jumped out and checked everything, and nothing was wrong. Tires all full, ujoints tight, wheels on tight, no movement in front wheels to indicate wheel bearing.
    Driving back to NY tonight, there was no hint of this freakiness. Even put on my steel pair and was doing about 80mph on I-80 for a few minutes.

I picked up a u-joint and massive vise grips while up there just in case we needed an emergency repair, but the K5 did fine for another 150 miles.

Any thoughts??

PS, MPG was awesome, for some reason... 15-20, 85%highway driving, and dirt cheap gas!

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

2. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I hate when I hear a noise or feel a vibration and then it suddenly disapers... It turns my guts to..I used to have a nice familiy boat, But the inboard engine would always make a "new noise" each time we where out, I had to sell it because I worried to much about it.

One thing is that you could have had a even layer of mud around the inside of your rim, You hit the wakeupp strip and a litle of it got shook loose so that threw your wheel out of balance until the rest let go...

Just keep truckin and hope for the best. If it's not shaking now everything must be ok, right ??[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I have a Heep (appropriately termed) that does that, occasionally makes a noise, then it goes away and I ignore it... I worry when it happens on the K5, though.

Actually, I did run through some mud and build up a little layerage before that part of the trip. I bet that was it, and why it went away after we stopped for a little while.

Thanks man!!

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**