Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wierd vin code

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Feb 6, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok i pulled glovebox from the 1 ton dually chassis cab i helped load up onto trailer yesterday and that the neighbor hauled in for scrap this AM,

according to the SPID label the wheelbase is only 131.5- in which is 1/2 and 3/4 ton wheelbase, and it lists that it is auto tranny, but it actually is a 4 speed truck, with correct removeable bolted in place tranny cab floor pan and all,. entire cab and all parts are the same original dirty white color just like is listed on label even,

the front clip is not 73-75 style it is 76-80 style setup for the grille mounting and such and coincides with design of wiper switch and so forth too.
    truck has the normal hydroboost steering/brake system and non a/c heating system also which would be about right for a low model 70's 1 ton truck

the vin plate on pillar has been removed and there are just the four rivet holes left there, so that makes it a 73-78 cab, and the horn cap is the large style horn cap so i believe its a 78 cab since large cap didnt start til 78 anyways, and the engine air cleaner decal is dated '78, the seatbelts are not the 76 or 77 and older style either,
    so,.,

anyways the vin code is: 1KM24AS1xxxxx

from that all i can get is that 24 is 3/4 ton pickup, A is 1980, S is St Louis, hmm.

i thought maybe cuz its gmc, but thats a no 'cuz the horn cap is bowtie and dash pad is custom deluxe, so hmm.

any ideas ?

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Could it possibly a cab/chassis?

Kris

3. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Parted together or.... possibly stolen??? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif How far can you trace the history of this rig???

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Could it possibly a cab/chassis?

Kris

[/ QUOTE ]

yes it is cab chassis, but the vin code should still be normal like all the other 2wd ones do, starting with CCM or CCL or CCZ, etc.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Parted together or.... possibly stolen??? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif How far can you trace the history of this rig???

[/ QUOTE ]

the vin isnt even a normal vin, and thats whats printed on the factory label in glovebox even,

it doesnt make sense

80 and older chevy truck vin codes never began with a number digit, thats the very first problem here, it is an 80-older 13 digit vin code