Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wife got her new truck. She wants it lifted. (warm and fuzzy feeling)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by four_by_ken, Nov 1, 2003.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Well, with all the incentives and early turn in and all... my wife is now driving a 2004HD 4x4 ext cab.

One of the first things she says... somehting like..

"When can we lift it so bigger tires will fit?"

I love my wife.

Anyone have suggestions about lifts? I know nothing about the IFS lifts. Still will tow a with it, but would like to fit 35s. Has 30.5s on it now and there is definately room for a little more, but not 35s.

Ken H.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It depends on what you and her want. If looks are a main concern which is what I would be If I had a new truck... I would probably go with a 10" whiplash or full throttle suspension lift with 35" TSL's, boggers,SSR's, or 36" TSL radials on weld 16.5x12 or 14" rims. That would look great and I'm sure that there is a few guys that will say thats stupid for making a truck look good but I don't care. If functionality for running a bigger tire is the only concern then I would go with an 8" lift and 35" all terrain tires on some cheap wheels. I have a lot of friends with new chevys and have come to the conclusion that If I add 2" to there lift than it will be as tall as my older strait axle truck. For example... I have 9" of lift, it would roughly take about 11" to 12" of IFS lift to make it as tall as mine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

uhg, IFS is unbelievably expensive to lift... and generally so complicated that you have to have a shop do the install. If you don't mind spending $1500-2000 for the kit + whoknowshowmuch for the install... then go for it. Personally, I'd prolly do a body lift and/or get it professionally fender trimmed at a body shop (it is new right, dont wanna hatchet job!) to fit the bigger meats...

j

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm pretty certain 4" lift would fit 35s with mild rubbing. I doubt shes gonna be flexing it out and crossing it up on some killer trails though /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Whiplash would definetally be overkill and expensive, good rancho kit would probably be like $1500 maybe, the whiplashes start at like $2000.

5. four_by_ken

Thats a little too much. This is still the daily driver for her and our new tow rig to tow my Blazer and the horses with. So, I dont want to go over 33s.

Really just to make the truck look a little better. Stock tires are so weasel looking.

Ken H.

6. four_by_ken

Dont even need 35s. Too much towing to go with 35s. Yes, brand spankin' new. Like 150 miles new.

Not going to be wheeled at all. Thats what I have the Blazer for.

Ken H.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

if you want 33s small bod lift would probably do it. I've heard of puting 33s on a stock height hd but never seen pictures of it.

8. four_by_ken

Well, I have seen kits ranging in the $1100 ro $1800 range. Its pricey, but not too bad.

Pay someone to work on my sheet... hell no. I do all my work myself.

Its not that bad.

Ken H.

9. four_by_ken

Probably right about the body lift. Would be best for drivetrain wear and tear also... meaning no more than stock. I have also 'heard' of 33s fitting, but I doubt it.
    Maybe a 2 inch body lift will be in the future. That may work out best for us. Wouldnt raise the hitch any that way either.

I think I am liking the body lift more as I think about it.

Ken H.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

IFS lifts can really be a pain but I would do it myself as well. I'd just plan on spending twice the time I would on my SFA rig and plan on taking a lot of breaks to cool down.

11. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I drove my bosses 03 HD all the time. It had 33x12.5 on 17s with no lift, air damn was trimmed a hair. Looked and worked good.

12. four_by_ken

Dont suppose you have any pictures, or could get any for me could you?

Guess I will just ahve to get the tires and worry about fitting them after. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ken H.

[ QUOTE ]
    I drove my bosses 03 HD all the time. It had 33x12.5 on 17s with no lift, air damn was trimmed a hair. Looked and worked good.

[/ QUOTE ]

13. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Sorry...I'm up near sac and that truck is down in so cal. That is the route I would go if it was mine. Looked sharp, towed real well. Still low enough for his kids to get in. I actually thought it was lifted for awhile. That is, until the fawker started making me wash it every friday and I got a good look at the suspension.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Crank the bars until it's level and put 305/70s on it. I bet they'll fit...if not, add the body lift. I'd bet you could fit at least a 285, if not a 305 with the crank and with a 3" body and the crank of bars I bet you could get 315s (35s) on it no prob.

15. four_by_ken

I am not a big fan of messing with the torsion bars. But, if it only requires a very small adjustmaent... maybe. But, I would rather trim off that little lip than adjust the torsion bars.

Ken H.

16. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

You guyz are nutz. It doesn't cost THAT much to lift up IFS. I bet you could score a Rancho 4-6" lift for about $1,000. Then you could fit some 35's. I think it would be cool to put it up about 6" with 35's, and 18" Rims... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

17. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

IFS kits aren't that hard to put in either. About twice as hard as SFA, but SFA is a walk in the park.

18. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

A buddy of my dads had a 2002 HD 4x4 with 295/75/16s on it and no lift. They fit and look great. I cant get pictures of it though cause hes got a 4 year government paid vacation right now /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I am not a big fan of messing with the torsion bars. But, if it only requires a very small adjustmaent... maybe. But, I would rather trim off that little lip than adjust the torsion bars.

[/ QUOTE ]

The truck already comes 2-4" taller in the back to account for the fact that many people tow with a 3/4 ton truck. All you'd be doing is cranking the bars so the truck sit level. If I were you, I'd just crank it to sit level...not crank it to where it has no down travel like some people do. I wouldn't recommend cranking the bars all the way...but increasing the front ride height to match the rear is the perfect way to make it look nicer and gain tire clearance if you're not towing!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

I would spend the 200 for a hill leveling kit that is what I have on my 2500hd and I have 305/70 / 16 or 33/12.5 It looks great and only rubs if your turning hard or on a rilly bad bummpy road I think next time I will go with a 285/75 16 it is a 33 10.50 and will probly not rub if I turn lock to lock. I wouldnet turn the torsion bars out it puts to much of a strain on the drive train parts.