Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wife 'Scattered' my 406, See Carnage PICS!!! Vote on Fate of Block???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rigdonhome, Jun 12, 2003.

1. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

Wife \'Scattered\' my 406, See Carnage PICS!!! Vote on Fate of Block???

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I finally got the 406 out of the Malibu and tore it down yesterday. My first clue was the mangled #3 Spark Plug that I was barely able to remove with a regular 3/8" drive ratchet. Second clue was, 'Nothing in Radiator, lots of Coolant in Oil Pan'... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

This is a SBC 400, 0.030" over with 5.7" (350) rods and Keith Black Hypereutectic Flattops. Less than 2000 miles and it scattered. After tearing it down I still don't know what happened. I suspect the #3 skirt chiped off and eventually cocked in the cylinder, eventually going through the wall.

I've had this motor for 16 years!!! Was my first Hot Rod. So so many Races!!! Undefeated in my home town. Ran a best of 13.82 in my Malibu, which is setup for handling and not the Drag Strip... In 16 years I've rebuilt this motor 3 times. Each time it had some kind of cam problem when I tore it back down. I would guess the oil passages are bad in it.

1) Completely stock, in my first car, a 1977 Caprice.
    2) Mild cam and heads in my second car, 1978 Malibu.
    3) As you see it here, 5.7" rods, Flattops, ported heads, all the cam these heads could handle, etc.

The block is obviously shot... Am I dreaming to think I could sleeve it??? It has great sentimental value! The stories I've written about it alone are worth keeping it for. If I had room, I'd hang it from the ceiling in the garage with all of my other 'Hall of Shame' parts. Garage is too small now though.

Please help me decide what to do with it now...

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1055464856rigdonhome">

The Fate of the 406...
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Sleeve it! 400's are Hard to Find!!!
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />Clean it up, Paint it, and make a Lamp for your Living Room. Keep it!!!
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />Let it Go, Man! It's just a hunk of Iron!!!
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif You're looking at parts from #3, which gave their lives Bravely in the Line of Duty. (Moment of Silence, Please.) /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

Re: Wife \'Scattered\' my 406, See Carnage PICS!!! Vote on Fate of Block???

DAMN! that sucks nice pics though

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Might be intresting to build some sort of fancy mail box stand with the block as the base. Just a idea. Or a yard orniment. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

How is that your wife's fault?
    I wouldnt put any $$$ into it since it also eats cams. I bet the cam bores are slightly out of alignment or something.
    Are you sure you had enough piston/cylinder head clearance with the longer rods? Were the heads or deck shaved for more compression or flatness?
    Sorry to see a 406 go to the grave

5. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I have to disagree with almost everyone here! There is no such thing as letting a 400 go. It has so many memories and is the best smallblock out there. If I ever had to scrap my 406 for a 350 I would kill myself. They are awesome motors and are hard to find, especially since all you 350 guys are stealing our cranks to make 383's. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I say re-sleeve it and let the good times roll. And if you decide to scrap it, I will be glad to take all of it off your hands. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Fate of the block or fate of the wife? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Go build yourself another 400, or maye stroke it to 415 with less bore so the cylender walls are thicker. Engines come and go, its the combination of parts the give it its feel so build it back the same way and let the good times roll. Find a core with less age and less machining done to it or buy yourself a new 400 block.

In the same token, I've been looking for (and just found) a 400 to swap into my truck should I sell it, specificly to keep my 415ci for my next ride. So I can relate to you wanting to keep it if it hadn't already swallowed a grenade.

8. rigdonhome

[ QUOTE ]
    How is that your wife's fault?
    I wouldnt put any $$$ into it since it also eats cams. I bet the cam bores are slightly out of alignment or something.
    Are you sure you had enough piston/cylinder head clearance with the longer rods? Were the heads or deck shaved for more compression or flatness?
    Sorry to see a 406 go to the grave

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I forgot to tell the 'Wife' part!!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The 406 started knocking lightly before it 'Let Go' completely... The Wife's Van was 'Down' and she needed to go to town, and wanted to take the 'Bu. My exact words were, and I remember them exactly because I knew she would ignore them...:

"Just please don't run it hard, I think it's got a rod knocking. Keep it below 2500rpm's and it'll be OK." 2500rpm's is about 80mph in the 'Bu.

20 minutes later I got the call. The Wife said, "When I kicked it down to pass the old lady that was only going 60mph it started smoking and knocking and now it won't even turn over."

So it was 'Weak' to start with, but if she had gone easy on it I would have been able to save the block... For what it's worth... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you and I have the same Wife, I've heard that one before... and oddly enough I've had the same thing said to me as in your quote. There's nothing quite like the sound of a horrified passenger at 6000rpm.

10. rigdonhome

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like you and I have the same Wife, I've heard that one before... and oddly enough I've had the same thing said to me as in your quote. There's nothing quite like the sound of a horrified passenger at 6000rpm.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I'm a WildMan behind the wheel, but I don't like to break expensive things like a 'Brand New' 406... On the other hand, my Wife has no idea what 6000rpm's means, only that when she winds it that hard it rips the GSC's loose in 2nd gear! Many of my buddies are terrified to ride with her!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

You can have it sleeved but it aint going to be cheap. I had mine done and the total cost was about $700, which included the sleeve at 200 plus the labor and bore/hone etc... It all depends on how much you want it.

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

can you resleeve that cyclinder? Done it to a mower block once, dont know if a possibility for the 8cyl's? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Note to self: Don't let wife drive 'bu!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

14. rigdonhome

Scroll down for an update... I couldn't edit because of the poll... New Pics!!!

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I finally got the 406 out of the Malibu and tore it down yesterday. My first clue was the mangled #3 Spark Plug that I was barely able to remove with a regular 3/8" drive ratchet. Second clue was, 'Nothing in Radiator, lots of Coolant in Oil Pan'... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

This is a SBC 400, 0.030" over with 5.7" (350) rods and Keith Black Hypereutectic Flattops. Less than 2000 miles and it scattered. After tearing it down I still don't know what happened. I suspect the #3 skirt chiped off and eventually cocked in the cylinder, eventually going through the wall.

I've had this motor for 16 years!!! Was my first Hot Rod. So so many Races!!! Undefeated in my home town. Ran a best of 13.82 in my Malibu, which is setup for handling and not the Drag Strip... In 16 years I've rebuilt this motor 3 times. Each time it had some kind of cam problem when I tore it back down. I would guess the oil passages are bad in it.

1) Completely stock, in my first car, a 1977 Caprice.
    2) Mild cam and heads in my second car, 1978 Malibu.
    3) As you see it here, 5.7" rods, Flattops, ported heads, all the cam these heads could handle, etc.

The block is obviously shot... Am I dreaming to think I could sleeve it??? It has great sentimental value! The stories I've written about it alone are worth keeping it for. If I had room, I'd hang it from the ceiling in the garage with all of my other 'Hall of Shame' parts. Garage is too small now though.

Please help me decide what to do with it now...

&lt;FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"&gt;&lt;INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1055464856rigdonhome"&gt;
    &lt;p&gt;The Fate of the 406...
    &lt;input type="radio" name="option" value="1" /&gt;Sleeve it! 400's are Hard to Find!!!
    &lt;input type="radio" name="option" value="2" /&gt;Clean it up, Paint it, and make a Lamp for your Living Room. Keep it!!!
    &lt;input type="radio" name="option" value="3" /&gt;Let it Go, Man! It's just a hunk of Iron!!!
    &lt;INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"&gt;&lt;/form&gt;

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif You're looking at parts from #3, which gave their lives Bravely in the Line of Duty. (Moment of Silence, Please.) /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

UPDATE!!!

Well, I decided I couldn't afford to sleeve it, and it had cam problems all along anyway, so as a motor the 406 is resting in peace.

However, there is still the matter of sentimental value. I couldn't let it go either.

Every place we've lived we have planted at least one or two trees. Love trees. Sun Bad. Trees Good. So I have been meaning to plant some trees in the back yard anyway... I saved a bunch of Maples that grew in my gutter and transplanted them into the 406!!!

I figure it will make a nice stable base to protect the trees from being mowed off or run over by BigFoot...

I only hope all 8 trees survive to be at least 100 years old so that someday when they cut all these trees down and bulldoze this subdivision to build a parking lot or a Super Wal-Mart, they can eat about 50 chainsaw blades trying to cut the trees down!!! I wonder if the Bulldozer driver will even see the block, or if it will be completely enveloped in Maple Trees???

So the 406 is resting peacefully now and is a lawn ornament as someone suggested, and will hopefully keep a small patch of Maple Trees safe for many years to come!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

16. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

That's pretty funny....

17. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

looks like a 305, ya know, 8 holed flower pot and all... LOL that sucks... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Dude....sniff...sniff....that was a beautiful burial /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

19. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm, I have an extra 305 that met the same fate.... you're giving me ideas. Nice story and pics man.

20. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

Nice burial

You should post that on a tree hugger forum