Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wife wants a new car...opinions?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by laketex, Sep 16, 2004.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Just wanted to open this up to the ck5 crowd...It's time for a new car. My wife bought a POS chevy Prism new in '99 and has been driving it for a DD. This thing burns a quart of oil a week. Plus she hates driving it. Now we have 2 schools of thought on her next vehicle. It either needs to be fun and sporty for a few years or it needs to be nice and roomy and we need to think KIDS. Personally I'm not ready for kids because I think we need to be at a point financially that she can stay home. Just my personal thing that's very important to me. Also means that I wont be getting a new CTD anytime soon, but that's a different story. So...new vehicles we've been looking at.

NEW Mustang Convertible. 6 cyl to be easier on insurance, 5 speed preferable but prob auto. I can get into a brand new loaded out car for around 20K. We'd be trading off in 3-4 years though and I'm not sure how they hold their value.

Fairly new Chevy Trailblazer. Good all around rig for family and a lot nicer than what she's got now. Sunroof isn't a conv, but isn't that bad...plus we could keep it till it's dead and it would still do what we need it to do.

'00 GMC Denali, 75K that my dad is selling. I can get into this truck for about 14K which is way below KBB. However the 75K scares me and I was thinking something NEW.

Throw out your suggestions, comments, hard feelings, whatever....Thanks!

Bryan

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

A mustang won't hold it's calue for crap, you'll be upside down for at least 3 years, especially with a 6cyl one. Looks like you want American made, so I won't suggest the car I would recommend as my #1 choice.

The Dodge Magnums are sweet, sporty and supposed to be real fun to drive, and they'll hold kids when you get to that point. Even the base 6 cyl has 250HP, but the R/T is the bad-ass one with the 340HP hemi. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Don't get some new SUV, all the new SUVs suck and they're seriously overpriced for what you get.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Honestly, I kinda like the newer 2 door little Jimmy's. I'm also looking at Alero's, but we only want the V-6 Alero, not a 4 popper. Those are a couple of vehicles I'd look into, well, I am looking into them. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Shaggy,

I'm not set on American. What I need however is low insurance rates, convertible if I go with the car, and 25K tops with good resale.

Z3PR-

If I got with the SUV, I will be getting a 4 door!

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A mustang won't hold it's calue for crap, you'll be upside down for at least 3 years, especially with a 6cyl one.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about a very slightly used rustang like this one:

EDITED LINK> DAMN I HATE LONG LINKS>

We plan on paying around $2000 down plus a approx $1500 trade in.

Would it make more sense to buy something older and sporty if it's just for 2 or 3 years? I want reliable though. Crap. dammit dammit dammit....too many choices.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Get her a convertible Beetle, chicks love those things. You probably won't want to drive it, but it's a reliable car that will hol it's value pretty well. In non-convertibles, the Jetta or Passat with the TDI are good choices, 45+ mpg and great resale, you can't complain about that.

I hate convertibles, too much noise, too easy for people to break in to, and too dang expensive. Just my opinion though, I know alot of wimmin like 'em.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'd pass on the Mustang unless you get a Cobra. No resale value. Also There is absoultly no room in Mustangs if you are thinking kids. I know I own one.

If you want a car thats Fun, sporty &Roomy Go test drive a Pontiac Bonneville. You can pick up nice ones with 50 K miles or under for 14000. If you want more power than the stock 3.8 gives you can get a SSEi with a supercharger. Very fun to drive. My sister has one and it is a Hoot. I have owned a 93 Bonniville SSE for over ten years. It carted my wife and kids around till I got her a Monte Carlo SS. Our kids grew up in it. Oldest daughter drove it till she bought a new Jetta. Now my youngest is driving it. It has 140K on it and still runs great. They get good MPG too.

No opinion on the SUVs I have never cared much much for them. I have always perfered cars for the road.

VW Jettas/Passats are also nice fun cars to drive. I really like my daughters. It has the 1.8 Turbo audi engine. Gets 30 MPG. I chipped it and it is pretty damm fast. It will easly blow the doors of a 6 cyl mustang without even breathing hard.. It's almost as fast as my 5.0. Handles very good.It is roomy with a big trunk.

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Those trailblazers are REALLY nice. Ive seen very very few come into the shop with problems, (work at the local Chevy dealer). The I-6's are very smooth with tons of power, and from what I understand they get decent mileage. They drive really nice also, and are really quiet inside at freeway speeds.

I would be a little leary of the denali, at that mileage you could be looking at tranny or rear diff failure at any point, but if its taken care of it may be fine. Plus the intakes are prone to leaking.

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd pass on the Mustang unless you get a Cobra. No resale value. Also There is absoultly no room in Mustangs if you are thinking kids. I know I own one.

If you want a car thats Fun, sporty &Roomy Go test drive a Pontiac Bonneville. You can pick up nice ones with 50 K miles or under for 14000. If you want more power than the stock 3.8 gives you can get a SSEi with a supercharger. Very fun to drive. My sister has one and it is a Hoot. I have owned a 93 Bonniville SSE for over ten years. It carted my wife and kids around till I got her a Monte Carlo SS. Our kids grew up in it. Oldest daughter drove it till she bought a new Jetta now my youngest is driving it. It has 140K on it and still runs great. They get good MPG too.

No opinion on the SUVs I have never cared much much for them. I have always perfered cars for the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a power thing, it's a convertible freedom woman thing....

I'm going in to check on bugs!

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you do a bug get the 1.8 turbo. I know you said Its not a power thing. But the Turbo engine is a lot better engine than the 2.0 NAd motor. 1.8 engine is built by Audi in Germany. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    The 2.0 is made in Mexico /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    I have driven a turbo Bug. They are a lot of Fun.

11. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Imapala's are nice family cars, fairly fast too, and dependable. I don't think they come as convertibles. You could make your own convertible /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif.

12. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Buy used... doesn't seem like you're planning on keeping it forever so why buy new?

V6 Mustangs are worth about half what you paid new for it the second you drive it off the lot.

Buy an Impala or Malibu. Poncho makes some nice GTPs and Comp Gs if you want to go fast in a soccer mom kind of way.

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Heck, if ya had these thoughts a few weeks ago I could have hooked ya up on a high mileage, yet still in great condition Crown Vic............... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

14. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

how about a Pontiac Grand Prix GT (*evil grin* GTP)? 1997-2003. We had a 97. Plenty of room, esp the 4 door, sporty, fun to drive. We just had the GT, now if you can swing a GTP w/ its supercharger, hehe, have at it. But the normally aspirated GT is still sporty.

15. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    It either needs to be fun and sporty for a few years or it needs to be nice and roomy and we need to think KIDS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well , I hate FWD cars . I do however love my ol' lady's Impala . It is super roomy , will throw you in the seat when you stomp on it ( even if 3.4 ) , and on a trip to Tucson area ( Sahuarita ) this last weekend we went 280 round trip miles on less than half a tank I love the stereo too , 200 watt amp and lots of bass are stock on most trim levels . I just need rims and we are done /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

BTW It comes stock ready to haul kids . Has spots to attach car seats etc /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

She seemed to like your K5 the last time I saw her in it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I really dunno why anyone buys new cars. Seriously, car loses like 20% of its value when you drive it off the lot. wtf is with that? I'd much rather buy something a few years old... or even better, an OLD car that I just replace the engine/tranny in. Its like new trucks... why does ANYONE spend $35 on a new 3/4 truck? buy a 197x 1-ton, put a brand new 502 in it, and a brand new TH400 in it and you've spent like 1/4 the money and you can kick azz all over any new truck.

j

18. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I really dunno why anyone buys new cars. Seriously, car loses like 20% of its value when you drive it off the lot. wtf is with that? I'd much rather buy something a few years old... or even better, an OLD car that I just replace the engine/tranny in. Its like new trucks... why does ANYONE spend $35 on a new 3/4 truck? buy a 197x 1-ton, put a brand new 502 in it, and a brand new TH400 in it and you've spent like 1/4 the money and you can kick azz all over any new truck.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people either have the money to spend or it's worth it to not buy someone else's problems. The last 4 cars I've bought have all been new, and at least the next few likely will be too, unless I run across something that's exactly what I want and has less than 10k on it. I have the money and it's worth it to me to know that they are taken care of and not abused from day 1, plus I get the color and options that I want.

19. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I really dunno why anyone buys new cars. Seriously, car loses like 20% of its value when you drive it off the lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am glad they do buy new cars . We got our Impala for 13 grand ( after haggling with internet deal we printed out ) , new it was 26 grand . It was a 2003 , we bought in January of 2004 , we got a car less than a year old for a song

20. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Some people either have the money to spend or it's worth it to not buy someone else's problems. The last 4 cars I've bought have all been new, and at least the next few likely will be too, unless I run across something that's exactly what I want and has less than 10k on it. I have the money and it's worth it to me to know that they are taken care of and not abused from day 1, plus I get the color and options that I want.

[/ QUOTE ]

couldn't agree with you more, Shaggy. I bought my K5 and have invested over $1500 extra in mechanical problems, that was 1500 I didn't have to per say just go out and spend, especially when you're trying to save money for a down payment on a house.

my wife's S-10 Blazer needed 1200 clams of front end work done to it,, needless to say, I'm not making car payments and mechanic payments too, so we got a good deal on a 04 Tahoe. it's somehing she wanted for a while and we could afford the monthly payments since we were already making them on the S Blazer. kinda glad we did now, just spent some change at the dentist for her root canal /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif darn insurance isn't worth a flying F*^K!!!!!