Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WILD HAIR UP MY BUTT

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Gopherkiller, May 10, 2001.

1. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Hi Guys, Well, a couple a weeks ago I latched on to a K30 frame with ALLLL the goodies, complete. What I wanted to do, was put a regular cab and box on it. But with the front end from a C60, you know dump truck etc. I know that the front bumper would probobly sit lower, and the front wheel wells would be larger, but it looks like it would fit right on. Has anyone done anything like this before? Will this work? Or do I just have a "wild hair up my butt?" GOPHERKILLER

2. FastEddy

FastEddy 1/2 ton status

anything can be made to work. from my experience with these trucks, they are based on straight flat frame rails, so you will either have to put a huge body lift under the cab, so the cradle/front mounts will sit on the one tons frame top, or mount the cradle lower below the frame and/or hack the cradle up to fit over your frame rails. amount of work also depends if you are using the topkick design pivoting front end, or the steel design with a opening hood (most c-50 trucks). also with a 2-3 ton cab I don't think there is much of a hump on the floor to clear trans/transfercase without a body lift. also the puchouts for the steering column etc are different, as well as the brake master cyl mounting. nice thing though with a 3 ton cab is the small rear window. one more thing if your looking at a 3 ton cab and get excited about a factory tach in it, don't, usually the scale is lower on it, and it is probably a cable drive unit....plus probably countless things different that I don't know about or am forgetting...but anything is possible....I sold a farmer a cab off an 86 c-10 a couple years back and he was putting it on his grain truck 'cause his was rotten...told him that they were not identical, but he said it would work....never did find out if he did switch it or abandon the project.....post pics and info if you do do it, and info on what was different. it would be good to know. double check the things i noted here to make sure my info is right, i'm just going by memory.....just my 2 cents....ED