Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wild hogs (pictures)

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by BowtieBlazer, Nov 27, 2005.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Anyone hunted or harvested wild hogs before? This was my first weekend out at my dad's new deer lease, and we were searching for a club stand that he had never ventured out to yet, so we waited for first light to prevent any unnecessary stomping through the woods. We found a stand after about an hour of very slow stalking through the woods on a food plot, but not the correct stand. As we were plotting our next move into the woods out of nowhere comes 5 pigs charging the path we had just come down, right at us. I fired the first shot wounding the lead pig and he headed straight for a colapsed tree(the trunk sitting 2-1/2' off the ground leaning down) and from there my dad and I picked the rest of them off from about 30yards with a 30-30 and 270. I couldn't tell you in hind sight where I was aiming if I saw fur in the scope I pulled the trigger. I would have never expected what I saw when they were charging in much less all the noise they made. Probably one of the most action packed deer hunts I have ever had, as we harvested 4 of the 5. They have a major pig problem out there and have harvested a few sows over 250lbs. I really wish I had been more prepared with my 357 side arm. I do lots of duck hunting but not much deer so enjoy my pics with the elmer fud hat. :laugh:
    [​IMG]

call them piglets if you like but they had little tusks, and I bet they'll taste good too. Getting them processed into sausage.

2. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Very nice. Those are some younguns, Id have at least one butchered into some chops. I shot a hog last November, see the game photos thread, but he was pretty big, and the meat is really strong tasting, I prolly shoulda made sausage out of the whole thing. I was told by an old timer who hunts the same ranch that they taste srtong in the fall because they have been grubbin' on acorns, which are very acidic. He says the spring hogs taste better cause they've been eating roots, grubs, and such. Makes sence to me. But I'd definitely get some chops made out of those tender younguns. Congratulations!

3. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

We knocked these bad boys down. The 3 hanging were in the 250 lb. range while the monster strapped to the ATV weighed in at a whopping 425 lbs.
    These critters were taken with bows.

Pig Hunt.jpg

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

You have pigs in Canada or did you go somewhere else? Man I wish we had feral hogs here.