Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wild or mild

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_truxx, May 31, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

:thinking: :dunno: thinking of a future motor build for my 85 shorty. already has great acceleration w/ a stocker 350 quad puke and a 3.08 johnny-one-wheeler (open diff)rear end. I would like to make this my hotrod/sport truck. complete w/ phantom grille, front bumperette and rear roll pan and cowl hood :saweet: Just thinking about a motor build I should do for it. Was first thinking a mild 350 w/ vortec heads and a summit 1103 cam. that dd'd @ almost 350 ponies. Now I know I could go all out and build a sweet 383 roller w/ vortec heads... :D just not sure if the extra 75ish ponies would really make it all worth it :thinking:

2. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

or maybe I should just swap in a cam to start :waytogo: that's really cheap. a little lope would be so cool and apreciated too :saweet: :D

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

all depends on what you want....

example given...

my truck is not a dd.. so I thought what about a bb454 worked to the cahones......but when I drive say from NJ to Bloomsburg or to MD or maybe even VA.... OUCH THAT GAS BILL...

now I went with a 350 (got robbed and lied on the motor)
    I get awesome gas mileage.. truck seems to do ok.... however I do need a cam and clutch.... well clutch more than cam....

so I will put a clutch in, in a month or 2 put a 4x4 xtreme comp cam in, intake to compliment it all and will be sitting at a nice and stoute 350ish hp so I am told... I am told with heads, intake, cam, headers and dual exhaust(aleady have) 400hp can be achieved... however that is too much to me as there goes my gas mileage again.....

so take your truck out and think what do you want to do with it.... do you want to do a 1/4 mile of street in 12 seconds or do you want to do 1/4 mile of mud in 1.5 minutes or a 45 degree muddy hill climb??? yeah the more hp and torque the better... but trucks are different than cars.... to me there is a point of too much.... if you hit mudholes and have lockers... and dont go through too deep of holes... then who cares if you have 300 hp or 1000hp..
    just something to think of....

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

This will be my hotrod/sports truck. is an 85 shorty 2wd. so no mud :waytogo: but I would like to add a little "put you back into the seat" feeling to it. I believe, if the gears are still factory, it is 3.08, open diffed. I haven't had the chance to change the rear oil and chaeck the ratio yet. but at 60mph in drive, it will kick down to 2nd till almost 70 with its th350 :D anyway the goal is to add some power. Maybe I could start w/ a cam and some minor work like exhaust (currently has single) and intake/carb and all... then build a bigger sbc later on in its life. :dunno:

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

how'd you know I wanted a blower and dual predator carbs? :D lol I wish I could afford that setup :(

7. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build the stroker motor and put Vortec heads on it its not that much more than just building a non stroked motor

8. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

all ideas will be put off even longer than "sometime in the future" I had originally set out for this as now I have to pay for my divorce since ex refuses to pay even for that one single thing in our relationship. At least she can now write a book on how to skate in life and not have to be responsible...

9. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

that's probably the long term "want" I would have. I have to learn about building the 383 and all that's entailed in it. It would end up being just a stroker 350 w/ vortec heads and a mild summit cam more likely than not. something with a bit of lope but not enough to make normal driving a pita. Which cam selection is another thing I must learn about. I will learn if the summit 1103 cam is what I would like or if the 1102 or 1101 is better suited for what I am looking for. Looks like I will have plenty of time to research this project. Thanks Kelly! :waytogo: