Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wild pig/hog/boar hunting info

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by BowtieBlazer, Oct 24, 2006.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Anyone hunt them for sport or know much about their patterns? Reason I ask is I had killed some last year but never had as much trouble with them as now and am interested in thinning them out. My dad was out bow hunting and 20min before daylight had 4 over 300lbs 3 in the 150-200lb range and 4 piglets come within 20 yards of his stand. There wasn't enough light to see the front sight so he didnt get to arrow one.

They have been getting into our food plots. If I knew they ran a daily pattern and routine I'd wait them out in the same spot and ambush.

What I do know is that they hear and smell as well or better than deer and in general are very smart. So will behunting them odorless and taking all wind precautions.

This spot I am planning on ambushing from on a topo map is the shortest peak crossing between two valleys of 35' lower elevation.

2. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Hog hunting is popular here. From what I hear, they are far from smart. They will have a pattern and hogs dont roam too far from food. My dad hunts them in Ohio, they will chase them all day long and damn near step on them in the afternoon cuz they are tryin to lay down in the tall grasses.

3. BowtieBlazer

WELL, went out sat AM to take a shot at their daily pattern routine....

They showed up 20minutes early 50minutes before sunrise, no moon around rose at like 9:45pm set at midnight, this time, probably about 10 of them, it was so dark I couldn't see the end of my barrel to sight up on a sillohette. The first in the pack was large enough had it not been grunting and not knowing any better i'd have thought it to be a black bear! The thing was the size of a 4 wheeler definately 300lb plus.

Pissed that they showed early and being so close to legal shooting time I let a single depreditation round fly in the dark anyway with no luck. Next time I'll be ready...if they hold the same dark thirty pattern now that they have been shot at.

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Geez, I sure hope you were aware of what was beyond your so-called "target".:eek1:

5. BowtieBlazer

of course .... where my food plot was and the mud hole they made :eek1:

6. mofugly13

OK, jus' checkin.;) I had a shot impact within 10' of where I was hunkered down once because I was cammied up and the shooter didn't see me. Almost pooped my pants.

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

:haha: I'd have returned fire to be sure...

8. mofugly13

I knew the guy, he was taking a shot at a coyote that was on a road about 30 yards above me. The dude was about 600 yards away when he popped the shot off! I was really camied up and had been sitting dead still in the tall grass since sunrise. I got up and waved my arms and ran around. Later in camp he was freaked out that he hadn't seen me, and shot so close. It was opening morning. He put down his rifle for the rest of the season. He's a 'Nam vet with PTSD, and he was REALLY freaked out that he had shot so close to me.

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

600yds is too damn far, don't you guys have to wear blaze orange in Cali???

10. BowtieBlazer

I wouldn't have even popped off that shot had I not been on private land, with known conditions even beyond my target in case of skip/ricochet, I had marked our map where I was hunting in the AM incase someone left camp after me, the absolute closest anyone would have been was 500yrds through the woods, and as dense as they are i doubt it would have made it 25.

I have however been setup duck hunting in the marsh when another boat somehow came in stealth and setup about 50yrds away over the marsh grass and come daybreak they started peppering the grass behind up with BB's....not a cool feeling

Once on public land duck hunting in a little pot hole pond, Hunkered down I hear deer dogs hot on a trail....splash splash...splash here comes ol'mossy horns....splash splash splash away he goes...splash splash splash here comes the dogs...splash splash splash skiiiiiiiyaw-----skiiiiyawww deer rifles start getting fired from 100yrds away across the pothole pond at the deer running along the pond that had just passed us.....

Of course we didnt have orange on and in this area had never had much competition from other duck hunters/ deer hunters....
    to this day i am leary to hunt public land when deer season is also open.

I've also had a friend call in a fellow hunter with his squirrel call....yikes...

11. mofugly13

Not sure about public land, but on private land it is not required. I agree 600 yards is nothing but a hail mary, some guys think they're that badass of a shot though.:rolleyes:

BowtieBlazer, 'Fumes, be safe out there.

12. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

believe it or not orange is not required in CA. You'd think with all the other tree hugger crap here it would be!