Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

will 15'' wheels fit dana 44 8 lug front axle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MJB774X, Oct 27, 2002.

1. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

will 15\'\' wheels fit dana 44 8 lug front axle?

I have a 14 bolt, now I need to convert the front to 8 lug, I need to know if I'm going to have to put new wheels and tires (16.5") into my budget? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: will 15\'\' wheels fit dana 44 8 lug front axle?

8 lug 15's will fit the front...but you will need to grind the calpiers and backing plates. How much you need to grind depends on the backspace. I have 15x10 8 lug rims with 3 5/8" backspace on my 8 lug D44...

Rene

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep. They're a tight fit, but it can be done. I just installed a set of 15x10 chrome wagon wheels on mine. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif My wheels came with a 4.25 inch backsapcing, so I had to grind quite a bit on the backing plates, right around the tabs that locate the caliper. I had to take off enough that I ended up backfilling the inner side of the tab with the welder to keep it solid. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif With less backspacing, you wouldn't have to grind so much, but the tires will stick out of the fenderwells further.

4. HarryH3

Oh yeah, my front axle is a '74 Dana 44 HD, which is the first design. I'm not sure if the grinding would be more or less on a 2nd design 44. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

5. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know aprox. about how much material needs to be machined off the caliper? does taking material off affect the strength of the caliper enough to where i need to worry about it? thank you to everybodys advice, its much appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I just did mine the other day. I swapped the D44 stuff onto my 10 bolt for now till I get matching gears for the rear to put the 44 in. (the D44 has 4.88s, need to get 4.88s for the 14 now) I have pics in my Webshots of how much I ground. I have a before shot still on the 6 lug stuff and an after shot w/ the 8 lug. Same calipers.

I ground them, painted them flat black (flat black dries REAL fast) and hung the wheel w/ 2 lug nuts. I then spun the wheel and I could hear scraping. I would them remove the wheel and see where I hit. I dont know what my back spacing is but, I have 14 wides and they hang WAY out there.

When all was said and done you could slide a credit card in there. Its not much, but they dont rub. If you care to look they are in the "RE-construction" album.

It was more like taking off the roughness of the casting and any high spots of the caliper and then a bit more in my case.

7. HarryH3

Not much has to be taken off the caliper, but it is made of some hard stuff so it takes a long time to grind it down. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif My backing plates were in the way more than the calipers were. I'd guesstimate that I only took maybe 1/8 of an inch off of the calipers.

8. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

did you grind the backing plates or torch them?

9. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

are the hubs the same?

10. HarryH3

I ground the backing plates. What do you mean be "are the hubs the same"? I didn't do anything with the hubs. This truck had 16.5x9.75 wheels on it for the last 15 years or so. I just changed over to the 15x10's for the bead retention. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

I thought you converted yours to 8 lug, I wanted to know if my warn hubs from the 6 lug stuff would work on the 8 lug stuff? that should be easy to find out though, thanks for the info /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

As long as they are the same style, ie internal. 1/2 and 3/4 ton axles are really not much different.

13. HarryH3

Yep, as long as the parts are from the same era, the hubs will interchange. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif The external style have six 3/8's inch bolts that hold them onto the wheel hub, but I don't think those were ever used on the 1/2-ton axles. The internal style have 6 small allen screws that hold them onto the wheel hub. Those will interchange between the 1/2-ton and 3/4-ton internal style axles, even if one is a Dana 44 and the other is a 10-bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif