Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will 2" tuff country blocks cause axle wrap?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shum1, Oct 11, 2000.

1. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Will 2\" tuff country blocks cause axle wrap?

I have decided to be conservative on my wifes 90. 2" lift and 32" tires seems to be a good cheap way to go. (We tow in the mountians, and have 3.73 rear and stock motor and we dont want any steering mod problems.) Anyways, I'm thinking 2" lift from T.C. (They are here in Utah). I dont want ANY problems so will 2' blocks be ok in the rear? Also are T.C. nitro shocks any good?

2. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Re: Will 2\" tuff country blocks cause axle wrap?

Blocks are very unsafe. The can break and cause problems. My dad had them on the rearend of a 68 Mustang he had and a block broke and sent the tire into the fenderwell and the car into a ditch. He went to add-a-leafs after that. I would go with add-a-leafs or a shackle lift on the back.

http://www.ncclassics.com

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I have never heard of any safety problems with name brand lift blocks on a truck when they are used properly. Now if you stack blocks or don't torque your U-bolts right or never recheck them, then you are asking for trouble. The blocks from T.C. will be steel and real beefy. The blocks that break are those cheap thin aluminum ones. You can crack those just by overtorquing the U-bolts. IMO, safety is not the issue.

Will it cause axlewrap? Yes. You even get axlewrap without blocks, although usually not enough to cause any noticeable problems. The question is, how much and will it be tolerable? My guess is that you won't have any real problems.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I second what Blue85 said.. i have run blocks for years without problems, plus the newer Dodges come from the factory with blocks..

Just make sure you get the steel ones and they are a brand name. I have only used Superlift blocks and never had a problem.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com