Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will 33 inch tires and 3:08 gear, kill my 700R4?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RyansRod, Feb 16, 2002.

1. RyansRod

RyansRod 1/2 ton status

I'm actually doing an engine swap with another 350, but using a new 700R4, an electronically controlled one (4L60E) and don't want to hurt it. My last transmission went out prematurley and I was wondering if it had to do with my gear ratio and tire size?

Friends don't let friends drive fords

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

First of all, the 4L60E is a lot tougher than the old 700r4s. 33s and 3.08s shouldn't cause any problems but I would suggest staying out of OD at city speeds and if you haven't already, you should install a quality stacked-plate auxilliary tranny cooler. I also would avoid towing with your setup.....

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I ran 33's with 3.07's for more than a year... Had no problem's.

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda> Miscellaneous Debris </a>

4. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

That is what I feel burned mine up. I now have 4.56's, so we will see what happens now.

<font color=blue> So Cal Big Dawg Member </font color=blue>

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

With that combo, you will never want to use OD at all.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

6. aandpman

aandpman 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm running 3.08's and 33's w/ 700R4 and I NEVER use OD. Not even on the Highway at 70mph. My wimpy ol ' 305 just can't pull it and I also believe that others have had problems w/ OD going out prematurely if they do.
    With that kind of combo, you just can't pull enough engine vacuum to get decent mileage.
    Of course, I was just working on my 14FF [​IMG] in the garage today. Maybe in a few monts I'll have that puppy in. 4.10's will wake things up and I'll even be able to use my OD.

P. eople for
    E. ating
    T. asty
    A. nimals
    85 K10, 305 700R4 33's 3.08's (14bff &amp; D44 in the garage now, w/4.10's ;-)<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by aandpman on 02/16/02 04:31 PM.</FONT></P>

7. RyansRod

RyansRod 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, I'm planning on a 14 bolt soon anyway so it looks like I'm on the right track. I do have a transmisison cooler and I'll stay out of OD for the time being.

8. shoeless

shoeless Registered Member

Just a question, but what does vacuum have to do with a 700r4? They are electronically controlled, and have no vacuum connections. Just curious, don't mean to flame anyone.

Shoeless
    '88 K5

9. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I ran like that for over a year and didn't have any problems. My tranny is starting to die now but that's from spending 45 minutes strapping a Hummer out of a frozen pond. So if you stay away from Hummers you should be fine!! [​IMG]

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts www.mudnuts.org

10. ducati-cooter

ducati-cooter Registered Member

there right about the 4L60E being alectronic. as far as stronger well I wouldn't put any money on that. If you get a quality built 700r4 you will have very few problems and it will last a considerable amount of time. what year is the tranny you are installing and did you get the extra materials to lock the torque convertor.

11. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

Sorry to invade your post but no sense in starting a new won about the same question. Anyways how fast can you go when not in overdrive, because i feel that the reason i keep losing transmissions is because of driving 70-80mph on the freeway with 33's and 3.42's gears in overdrive. I know it is not as bad as 3.08's but i still have lost two trasmissions. I tried driving in just drive and not overdrive and i could only go about 50mph before the rpm's got so high that i thought it wasn't good for the motor, and i would much rather have the trans go out instead of the motor. i plan on getting 4.56's by the end of summer. but my question is it safe for the motor to drive in drive at 70-80 mph thank you for any help.

"When you say i drive a fullsize are you calling my wife fat."
    J/K i was bored and made that up i don't even have a wife i'am only 17.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you think 3.42s at 50 MPH is a lot of RPM, (1700) you're going to hate 80 MPH with your 4.56s in OD (2600).

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

13. ducati-cooter

the thing you have to do is, if you are going to use this as a daily driver you need to match the tire size and gear ratio so the overall rpm rangfe will be the same as the original one the vehicle came equiped with.

14. RyansRod

RyansRod 1/2 ton status

96 Tranny, out a 96 Tahoe. What exactly do I need for the lockup to work. Just wiring?

15. ducati-cooter

CALL JET OR B&amp;M AND TELL THEM WHAT YOU ARE DOING. THEY CAN GET YOU SET UP WITH WHAT YOU NEED.

16. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

That's an electronic transmission. You will have to use a stand-alone controller to make it do anything. They don't have a TV cable or a vacuum line.

As for 3.08's with 33's and a 700; I ran that for a long time without any problems. Oh wait, my tranny blew up and I had to rebuild it. But then I kept running it that way for a while until I got 4:10's and it was all fine. Oh wait, except for the fact that my tranny is dying again...[​IMG]

But seriously, I don't think that it's an issue as long as you have good cooling. The slower the engine is turning, the less oil the transmission is putting through the cooler.

<font color=green>Top signs you don't have a real 4x4:
    4) Twin Traction Beam
    3) Made by D.C.
    2) 5 lug nuts
    1) Unibody</font color=green>

17. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

All this leads me to question my TH350 and 33's with 3.07's. Right now I have 31's but I planned on replacing them with 33's. Will this work with my 3.07 gears?

Bill
    '77 GMC Jimmy
    '46 chevy pickup
    '67 Chevelle Malibu

18. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Yes, that should work. Dang, I'm running 36" Swampers with stock gears that I am assuming are 3.07s!!!! I gotta get the 4.56s soon!!!

<font color=red>"PROCRASTINATE NOW!!!"</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine</a>

19. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've been running 33's on 3.07's with a th350, it definately contributed to the overall demise of my first tranny... Now that its fixed and running a low stall converter, 3rd gear is like the energizer bunny... it just keeps going and going and going and....

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/borregok5> Pictures</a>

20. lifted95z71

lifted95z71 1/2 ton status

every truck with every gear tire combo ive ever had with a 700r4 roasted it. people say "oh you treat it to rough" i say "well hell it is a truck aint it?" i use manual trannys now.

he who bash other 4x4, look silly when being pulled out by it.