Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will 33s be OK on my 90 without lift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bennett, Nov 17, 2000.

1. bennett

bennett Registered Member

I am confused, some say yeas and some say no on other posts regarding 33s on a stock 90 Jimmy. My question is two-fold will they hit with normal daily driving and what will it do for performance. For a mild lift what do you guys suggest. I have 3.73 gears and a 700r. My kid drives in OD all the time. If I go 33s should I have him drive in "D" most of the time ? Ok that's three questions!!

2. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I also have a '90 Jimmy. I am running 33x12.5x15 M/T's on 10" rims. They would not clear the front fenders without a lift. I was also confused about some saying they would and wouldn't clear on stock suspension. The only answer is that not all K5's have the same amount of fender clearence in stock configuration and a lot 33" tires are not 33" in diameter. I also have 3.73's and do not have any trouble driving inn OD. Again, it depends upon the condition of your engine and transmission. During normal driving it will shift into OD and not shift excessively. Excessive shifting creats heat, and overheating is a killer of 700R4's. I hope this helps. You can look at my web page and see the stock wheels and tires before the lift and 33's.
    derf00.coloradok5.com

3. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I have 33's on 15x10 rims and have NO trouble. I also have 3.73's and a 700r4. I drive mountain freeways every day and am able to use OD, but not locked up. I asked the shop that rebuilt my trans if I should drive around town and tow in 'D' and he said to put it in 'OD', "the tranny is smart, it knows where it's suppost to be."

blazen91
    Protect the land FOR the people
    <font color=red>Not FROM the people</font color=red>

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Mine had 33s and no lift for about 4 months before I owned it and I was told they didn't rub, and I don't see any evidence of it. They will probably be fine only on the street, but the only way to tell is to see for yourself. Any reputuable shop will test fit the tires on the truck before you buy them. I always drive in D in the city and swithch to OD at 65.

90K5

5. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I have just put on my 33 12.5 Bfg's on 10" rims and I see where they would rub if I didn't have my 3" bodylift. When you turn you steeringwheel to the right or left the front outher edge of the tire swings into the front of the fender. Add a litle speed and lean to it and it gets even closer. Another thing is backspacing on the rims you are going to use. I had to add a 1/4" spacer to my front for the 10" rims to clear the nuckle on the stabilizer rod. That put my wheel further out in the wheelwell opening. So I turn the tire from a difrent angle than maybe a 8" rim would do. Maybe using the original wheels will help with running 33"'s on a stock suspension.

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I had been thinking about taking my lift off in a few years to put 31s on for better mileage. This was before my lift, buy will 31x10.5x15 on a 15x10 im rub or would I have to go back to 15x8?

90K5