Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will 33s Fit a Stock 04 silverado 2500HD 4X4?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by VisionxOrb, Mar 13, 2004.

1. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

as the title says /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, want to get one and its only 50 bucks to get the 4.10s, its gonna be a DD but i hate the way those stock tires are but they look good with 33s, it would only see light 4 wheeling for camping ect ect got the blazer for hardcore stuff. thanks for any thoughts

P.S, dont wanna lift it cause thats alot of cash

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you don't wan't to lift it than don't run anything besides the stock size, bigger will rub when turning.

IMHO if you are going to spend $45K on a new pickup another $2,000 for a lift and tires is a drop in the bucket....

3. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

295/75/16's look right at home on a 4x4 HD. They fill out the wheel wells nicely. I think there about a 34/11.5.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    another $2,000 for a lift and tires

[/ QUOTE ]

what kind of lift are you getting for that kind of cash? a body lift?

5. VisionxOrb

the stock tires are to small there 245s, anyway 45K truck NOT i already set it up msrp is 37k anyways its already streaching the budget plus if u lift it than u might as weel go higher and put on 35s then u gotta regear ect ect then all of a sudden its to hard to drive every day. anyhow I know the 1500s fit 31s and and the 2500hd normally comes level on the 4x4 which is about 2-3 inch taller in the front i figured 33 shouldnt be a prob but was hoping people could say if theyve tried it or seen it done.

[ QUOTE ]
    If you don't wan't to lift it than don't run anything besides the stock size, bigger will rub when turning.

IMHO if you are going to spend $45K on a new pickup another $2,000 for a lift and tires is a drop in the bucket....

[/ QUOTE ]

6. k5fd89

k5fd89 Hold my beer..watch this! Premium Member

I have a 02 2500HD no lift and 285's. I think 285 will convert out close to being a 33 tire. With a good amount of interior fender trim, they still rub on sharp turns and twists. But they do make it look a lot better.

7. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    another $2,000 for a lift and tires

[/ QUOTE ]

what kind of lift are you getting for that kind of cash? a body lift?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Don't know where you are getting body lifts but you are getting ripped a new one....Most 4" to 6" kits are in the $1.5 to $2k range. When I get my Dmax HD it will be a whiplash custom 12" kit with all the goodies including full powder coating and chroming, price will be in the upper $4K range.

8. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    45K truck NOT i already set it up msrp is 37k

[/ QUOTE ]
    Must not be a duramax/allison truck then...if it is you are getting one heck of a deal. I wouldn't waist my time with a gas powered HD with what gas prices are these days...diesel all the way. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. VisionxOrb

8.1 V8, i know gas prices are nuts but i like the way gas motors rev up, also im not a hug fan of the allison, ive heard alot of horror storys where people were breaking them with there stock duramaxs but i know the 4l80 is very strong w. good track record so it will do.

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I wouldn't even consider a lift on one of these trucks. Lifts of any kind are going to hurt its ability to tow and to do the work it was designed to do. I hate IFS lifts and body lifts, and I wouldn't "crank the bars" either. All that stuff just makes it drive and perform worse. IMO, lifts and such on these trucks are just for posers who sacrifice everything just for looks. If you want an off road rig, get an older solid axle truck.

That said, the stock tires do look silly, and even as a tow rig, it could use a little more clearance underneath to get in and around some of the places I take my trailer. Luckily, you can run 33s easily without lifting. 33” Bridgestone Duelers went right on mine the day I bought it. They rubbed the plastic inner fender just a smidge on the driver's side when turned just right. The inner fender has a bulge in just exactly the wrong place, and for no reason, there is nothing behind the bulge. So, I took a heat gun and a 2x4, wedged it in between the tire and inner fender with the tire appropriately turned, heated up the inner fender good an hot, let it cool, removed 2x4, and all is good to this day. Didn't crank the torsion bars or anything...

And if your looking at one of these, do yourself a favor, get the DMax. It’s worth ever penny and the gassers are a joke by comparison on power, longevity, and mileage.

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Horror stories on the Allison? Only if you run it heavily chipped. Not sure where you heard those stories, but if you check one of the several boards that cover these trucks, you'll see that they survive easily up to around 700 ft/lb of torque on “bombed” DMaxes. Bottom line, the Alli makes the 4L80E look like a first gen 700R4. As for liking the way an 8.1 will "rev up", would you care to race? With less than $1000 in upgrades, an Crew Cab DMax/Allison will run solid 14s all day long weighing in at around 7500 lbs. Mine is pushing 750 ft/lbs of torque and around 450-500 rwhp with nothing but a single plug in chip. All that at around 17-18 mpg in a crew cab 4x4 that will run 14s and pass anything but another chipped diesel on a grade with a load... Try that in an 8.1 and 4L80E (which wouldn’t last any time at 750 ft/lbs). I’m not trying to be an ass, but you really should do some more checking into the DMax/Alli combo before jumping in. I did a great deal of research and I assure you, there is no comparison…

12. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    IMO, lifts and such on these trucks are just for posers

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree. Pretty much every lifted post 88 truck is a poser. Never seen them on the trail...there are the few exceptions though...

13. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    8.1 V8, i know gas prices are nuts but i like the way gas motors rev up, also im not a hug fan of the allison, ive heard alot of horror storys where people were breaking them with there stock duramaxs but i know the 4l80 is very strong w. good track record so it will do.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Um, are you sure about that? Last time I checked the 4L80E was only standard behind the small block 364 and the 5 speed allison is standard behind the Dmax and 496. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Oh and don't worry about the allison if it is an 04' because it has been improved to handle the extra output that the improved duramax is making.

I'm with Baddog, The 8.1 is a joke against the 04' duramax. The 496 is making 340HP and 446ft lbs (correct me if I'm wrong on that figure) and the new Dmax is making 310HP and 590ft lbs. with the same tranny behind both. The 496 gets an average of about 9mpg empty and the duramax gets around 17mpg average and not much less under a load. Aftermarket parts are getting very common and better for the dmax along with making some dodge cummins rivaling power with the right mods. Plus the Dmax is only a couple thousand more than the 496. Far as I know there isn't much for high HP aftermarket stuff available for the 496 except for a whipple blower. I'm not trying to piss on the gas motors or anything but there is more advantages to having a diesel and it is more common than the 496. Either route is a good one though because both combos will make tire melting outrageous power no matter if it's a whipple equipped 496 or a banks big hoss bundle equipped Dmax. I would just much prefer the diesel. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    IMO, lifts and such on these trucks are just for posers

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree. Pretty much every lifted post 88 truck is a poser. Never seen them on the trail...there are the few exceptions though...

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree and disagree, most trucks that i see around town that are IFS lifted my dad and i never see on the trails, but my dad has a 94 IFS GMC and its lifted 4 inches and we go on a lot of trails with it and we also go hunting in it alot. so not all IFS lifted trucks are posers

15. rjfguitar

So what? When i buy a Dmax HD crew cab long bed and lift it...it won't see much more dirt than my second gravel driveway, diesel truck pulls, and maybe pismo beach. Is that a bad thing to not wheel a nice new pick-up that costs 45K new stock not to mention another 10K in it or so on top of that in lift, tires/wheels, stereo, custom odd and ends?
    It would be stupid to wheel it. I would rather keep it nice and looking awesome and use it to haul my K5 to the mud drags...

16. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I agree that the Dmax/Allison combo would be nice, but I can buy a lot of gas for the $5,000 it would have cost for that option! My '03 2500HD crewcab with the 6.0L gas, 4L80E, and 4.10 gears gets 15-16 mpg empty, which is about 95% of the miles I put on it. I also think it runs pretty good with the "puny" 300 hp it puts out and has no problem pulling my 9,000 lb. K5/trailer combo to the trails. Sure, it won't pull a mountain pass at 80 mph, but we don't have any mountains around.....and even if we did I wouldn't need to be going 80 mph.......

The 8.1L is just too much of a gas hog for any practical purpose....

Regarding the original question, 285/75R16s seem to rub on most 2500HD trucks without either cranking the bars a little or doing some trimming. My dad has 265/75R16 on his '02 and they just barely clear, and I'll probably go to the 265's when it's time for new tires on mine. Bigger would be nicer, but I bought the truck to drive everyday and tow a trailer, not to cruise around with a 12" lift and chrome shocks /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif