Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will 4 inch shocks fit 5 inch lift??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88k5canyon, Dec 1, 2002.

1. 88k5canyon

88k5canyon Registered Member

I am planning on getting new pro-comp shocks this month but as of now only have four inches of lift but plan to use zero rates to get another inch will these "4 inch lift" shocks fit my hopefully 5 inch configuration down the road?
    Thanks
    David
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Sure they will fit. But plan on buying a bushell basket full of left rear shockmounts, because you will tear them off without wheeling.

The only way to honestley answer your question will be to check the drop and compression of your suspension in relation to the compression and extension of your shocks.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Fred is right. In my experience most shocks that come with 4" kits are too short already. The shocks that came with my buddy's 4" pro-comp kit were fully extended at ride height up front. I guess smoking crack and designing lift kits for the masses goes hand in hand./forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Rene

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

id go with a 6 inch lift shock.then at least you will have the extra travel you need and wont have to worry about it.

5. BlazinNewTrails

BlazinNewTrails Registered Member

When I went from 2 1/2" to a 4" lift I asked the guy at 4wpw if I needed new shocks (I've got Rancho 5000's from the 2 1/2" Rancho kit) To my surprise he said no. He said that the 2 1/2" and 4" kits use the same shocks.
    I would go with a 5-6" lift shock in your case if it were me just to be safe.

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

The RS5000's I bought are supposed to fit with 4-6" of lift.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

yup...just because they say it's meant for 'X' lift doesn't mean they are long enough. It just means that's what you'd get with that kit. Better to cross the truck up on a ramp and measure the extremes to calculate optimal shock length.

Rene

8. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of a 4in lift also and though of one day doing the same with zero rates will having 6in lift shocks mess anything up if its on a 4 in lift?