Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will 79 - 85 El Dorado Rear Calipers Work?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lance, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Title pretty much says it all. I have a rear disk setup on my 14-bolt that I am in the process of installing and want to use rear disks that keep the e-brake. I found a set of calipers on e-bay from the 79-85 El Dorado. Can I use these without problems? Everything I have read says the 76 - 78 Caddy calipers will work but why only those few years. Is it a clearance issue or what? I plan on running at least 16" rims or bigger if that helps. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The rotors won't clear. You can't use the front D44/10 bolt truck rotors with the later calipers. Late calipers clear 1" rotors, earlier clear the 1.25" truck ones.

Besides, the "pin" spacing (where the caliper bolts) is approx 5" for the newer (79-85) calipers, and 7" for the earlier ones.

3. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I see so it is not a matter of the calipers clearancing the rims, but rather a matter of the calipers clearancing the rotors. Right? Thanks for the helpful information.

Lance

4. dyeager535

Exactly. The caliper is smaller overall, so you'd likely be able to clear a smaller rim, but I know that wasn't your question.

If you already have the 14 bolt disk brackets, they won't work anyways (pin spacing problem) so it would be a moot point.

5. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info.

6. high 5

high 5 Registered Member

as the owner of a 83 toro and85 riv t-type (eldo clones) let me tell you those breaks are a royol pain in the but wish i had drums

7. dyeager535

Do you use the e-brake consistently?

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Go with stock front calipers and a line lock. For parking for a sort period it will be fine but if you have to park on a hill for a while then I would recomend choking the wheels.

9. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

That might be the best solution to my dilemma i have heard yet. You see, club rules dictate you have some sort of mechanical brake mechanism and since I have a NP 241 with a slip yoke, a driveshaft brake was not in the budget at this time. Plus, the 14 bolt I bought from Mr. Chevy 4x4 already had the disk brake setup in place and I want to keep it. i hadn't though about a line lock but that sounds like a good idea. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Somewhat familiar with the concept from reading Hot Rod magazines but never done or seen anybody install a line lock. Anybody have some good sources of info on this kind of wrenchin'? Or am I getting myself in over my head. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Lance

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the line lock doesn't qualify as a mechanical brake mechanism. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif By mechanical, they are referring to a method of applying your brakes without the use of hydraulic fluid. E-brake cables provide a direct mechanical connection to the brake system, which will work even in the event of a total hydraulic system failure.

11. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I knew it sounded to good to be true.