Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will a 10 bolt tie rod fit on a D44?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob, Apr 20, 2002.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I got my 87 parts truck sitting here, and I need a tie rod for my D44.. the 44 is off a 74K20. Will the tie rod from the 87 work with the D44?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The taper for the rod end are the same. They are also about the same length. The only difference might be that early D44 tie rod's went in from the top and late D44's and 10B's went in from the bottom...so you might have spring clearance problems but that is the only issue I can think of.

3. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

The arms on the knuckles for the 44 are in a different location than the 10 bolt, i belive, i remember somone telling me it wouldn't work, but sometimes i remember stuff that isnt true, Well at least thats what my girlfreind says, but anyway, just compare the knuckles and see, the tie rods should be the same length.

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

It should work as long as you use the entire tie rod assy.
    There are 3 styles of tie rods.
    73-76... the RH end is off set and goes in through the top, the LH end is straight and goes in through the top.
    76-80..both ends are straight and go in through the bottom.
    81-91.. both ends are straight and go in through the top
    Where the steering stabiler mounts is also different.
    On the first design tie rod the mounting hole for the stab is in the middle, the shaft end of the stab is towards the diff housing.
    On the later designs the mounting hole is at the left end of the tie rod, the shaft end of the stab is toward the knuckle.
    The tie rod assy will bolt on but as the axle is a 74 the steering stabilizer will not match with out some fab work.