Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will a 1976 Pontiac 400 fit work in my k5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Arhogsett, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Arhogsett

Arhogsett Registered Member

Is there any way a 76 pontiac 400 will work in my 86 k5?

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Yep. Same deal as installing a Caddy motor, which is quite common these days.

Look around. There's lots of info.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

custom engine mount setup. BOP transmission converted to 4x4. They have a different engine mount setup, and bellhousing pattern. You could run a BOP case TH400 or TH350, but would have to convert them to 4x4 since there were no 4x4 BOP pattern engines.

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

You can just get an adapter for the tranny. Probably for the mounts, too.

Look up BranndonC and pick his brain.

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

WRONG- Jeep used 350 Buicks with T400 trannies in Wagoneers.:D

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

damn obscure facts, haha.

I was thinking, first and second gen f-bodie mounts might be able to be used. You can bolt up Camaro mounts to Firebird subframes, I wonder how different they are than K5 mounts.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

they are do-able..

I saw a 4x4 GMc with a 455 Pontiac motor at a truck show last summer..

The guy used firebird motor mounts and had to use a flat plate to extend them back to fit the crossmember..Pontiac,Olds,and Buick,also Caddy motors have the motor mounts made into the block about 6" or so more foreward than the Chevy motors..all you need to do is use a heavy plate bolted where the Chevy mounts once bolted to the crossmember to move it forward enough to line up..this truck had a Pontiac TH400 with the chevy 4x4 output shaft swapped in..guy said he originally used an adapter,but the Chevy tranny croaked,and he found a Pontiac one cheaper..

I've seen others use a stock 6 cylinder motor mount bracket,and they use the passenger side on the drivers side to make the mounts work..others made custom tubular crossmembers instead..many ways of getting around the motor mount dilema..one good thing is Pontiac and Olds oil pans fit,they already have a rear sump..Caddy motors need an Eldorado pan with a rear sump to fit..

Just about any GM V-8 will work in a 73-87 full sized truck..we put a 403 Olds motor in a 75 Chevy 2wd 1/2 ton at the junkyard...used the Olds TH400,had to make the motor mounts fit,wasn't that big a deal(we used factory diesel 350 Olds motor mounts and brackets from a junker 79 GMC,it was basically a bolt in deal!)..but moving the battery,fuel lines,and cables was a pain--Olds has the fuel pump and starter on the drivers side!..we also used the exhaust off the diesel Olds 350,it worked perfect...

I've seen 455 Buicks in GM trucks,and one guy even had an older Caddy motor in his 2wd tow rig,I think it was a 429 motor..wasn't the usual 472 or 500,it was the older one..had mucho tourque!..he bought the motor from us at the junkyard from a '64 Limo..smoked the tires off it pulling a car trailer with a heavy car on it like nothing!..:crazy:

8. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

You could. The question is ... why would you want to (speaking specifically of the Poncho 400)?

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Different?

If you have one, its cheap.

And they are torquey motors.

10. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

I've had two of 'em. Now, if he was talking about a 455, it might be worth the pain in the arse to get it going. Not for a 400, IMO.
    d