Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will a 1993 Suburban with a 4L60E be able to pull my 16ft travel trailer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 72Blazerod, Sep 29, 2002.

1. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

I am looking at a 1993 Sub to add to my collection and I was wondering if the 4L60E would be stout enough to pull my travel trailer? My trailer is only 16 ft long and weighs somewhere in the neighbourhood of 1800-2500 lbs. I also live in the mountains and I don't want to buy a truck whose tranny is going to die on my on my first vacation. The owner tells me that the tranny was rebuilt less that a 1000 miles ago and it has an "Auto King Heavy Duty Shift Kit" in it.
    So what are your opinions?

Thanks again for the help guys!

Rod /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A 16 foot trailer is fine behind that truck. Make sure you do not tow in OD and use the largest cooler you can find. 2500 lbs is nothing...

Rene

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Like Rene said, 2500 lbs is nothing. It would be a good idea to find out what kind of gearing the Sub has. I personally wouldn't tow with anything less than 3.42s.

4. 72Blazerod

Man, if I had known that it was going to be other Canadians replying to my post, I would have written it in metric /forums/images/icons/grin.gif . Thanks for the info guys. The truck has about 150,000 Km on the rebuilt engine and about 1000 Km on the tranny (just rebuilt) but the truck has 320,000 km on it in total. I was thinking of buying it and having the engine rebuilt for my peace of mind. Do you have any advice for a high mileage truck?

Thanks again,

Rod

5. Can Can

What kind of motor is in that sucker? Is it a 1500 or a 2500? Did you check out the gearing yet?

With 150k on the engine I wouldn't be worried about a rebuild unless you're having some problems.......

6. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

My 93 half ton has 225,000 miles on origional junk and still going strong. No smoke or leaks from it, so I don't think your mileage is too high yet.

7. 72Blazerod

The guy says he thinks it has 3:07's in it. If this is a fact, what sorts of problems would I have pulling my trailer? I know I am not going to put new gears in this thing.

Thanks,

Rod

8. Can Can

Tire size and gearing go hand in hand, I'm sure you already know that. The bigger the tire, the higher the gear ratio needed to keep the engine running in the power band. 3.07s are great for highway driving because you're able to go faster at lower RPMs. Unfortunately, you're buying this truck for towing and high speed travel isn't what you want- you want low end grunt and the ability to keep the engine in the upper ranges of the power band with a load on.

With 3.07s, it's gonna take you forever to get up to speed with a trailer behind you. In the mountains, you're not going to be able to keep your speed up when going uphill. Like I said above, the lowest I would go would be 3.42s for towing.

Sorry for the bad news. Is the Sub a 4x4? If the price is right and it's only a 2WD, it may be worth it buy it and swap out the rear gears. Just something to think about.

9. 72Blazerod

What you are saying makes sense! I'll have to double check with the guy about the gears. The truck is a 4x4 so a gear switch would be costly! Something for me to think about.

Thanks,

Rod

10. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

My Jimmy could pull that without any problems.