Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will a 305 distributer work on a 350?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DuallyK5, Apr 16, 2006.

1. DuallyK5

DuallyK5 Registered Member

I got a 305 in this 88 blazer I just picked up. It’s got a 8 inch lift in the back a 6 inch lift in the front with 38.5 boggers and their 15 inch wide. Also have a 4-speed granny sm465 tranny along with an np208. I already have the np205 ready to go in but first is the motor. My buddy spun a bearing the in bottom end from over revving while wheeling. Now I got another blazer as well and stripped it down. I took the 350 out of it and I am changing it over to a carburetor. But I understand I need to change the distributor and I am taking the one out of the 305 because that motor was carbureted. Also can I use the came that is in the 305 for my 350? My buddy has a 305 with 350 heads and it was carbureted. If any can fill me in on the information it would be greatly appreciated.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

All chevy distributers , in the good ol small block , big block , and even the 348-409 will interchange physically ............. unless its a tall deck truck block like a 427 or 366 .

Why you wouldn't want the injection , if you have it is beyond me though . I only love my carb because injection costs more to retrofit .

3. DuallyK5

DuallyK5 Registered Member

Ok

Thanks alot. I though so but wanted to double check. Only reason a carb is cause the 305 that is in it now is all setup for a carb and i just wanna get this truck on the road so i can sell my rx7 car and have 2 blazers to drive and wheel with. I got a dually k5 also. Yeah a daully. It shreads threw mud like nothing.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Cool. Got pics?

5. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

dizzies are the same

injection is gay

good luck

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

almost 100% correct...

A 348 or 409 CAN use a SB or BBC HEI,but you need a custom spacer made, to get it to be at the correct height to mate with the cam gear,and to fit the hole in the intake..its bigger than the other V8's!..just in case any 348-409 users are reading this... ..the tall deck BBC motors are different animals,as already noted,and some rotate the opposite direction of a usual V8,due to a gear drive camshaft..

All the other motors can share distributors,but be aware advance curves vary slightly,and modules,pickup coils,and coils are not always the same..they are "color coded" from the factory with a spot of white or yellow paint in the module,coil,distributor cap coil cover,and the color of the pickup coil wires...

My brother had an 85 Monte Carlo SS that had an off idle stumble..he got a recall notice from GM one day,said to bring it in for "ignition upgrade"...they replaced the coil and pickup in the dizzy--seems GM goofed and put some "yellow" coils on vehicles that had "white" modules and pick up coils..they still run,but the polarity is reversed,and that lowers the voltage output of the coil a great deal...might check that and see if yours are all compatible!..his car ran much better with the new pickup and coil...:crazy:

7. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Injection is gay ?? You must not actually wheel.:eek1:

8. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

pics of the duallly pics of the dualllllyyy