Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will a 32-spline 208 from a 465 fit behind a 205 version Turbo 400?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HarryH3, Jun 27, 2004.

1. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got a line on an NP 208 that was originally installed behind a 32-spline 465. My current setup is a Turbo 400/NP 205 that came from a 1980 K30 pickup. I'd like to try out the 208 in place of the 205 to get the better low range gear ratio. But will it fit without a lot of hassle (and cost)? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Isn't there some oddity with the Turbo 400's having various length output shafts, depending on what t-case was installed behind them? I have no interest in yanking the transmission, so if that what it takes then I'll just skip this little mod. But if it's a fairly easy swap, then I may give it a try (once I find an adapter). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

AFAIK, it will fit but you will need a longer output shaft.

3. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Harry, I think all 4WD TH400's are all the same. The 208 from the 465 might be different, but I don't know. Check with Mark (Burblover), he mentioned to me a while back having a TH400 version 208 and adapter. He might want to sell it or at least you can look to see if it may be the same as your current setup. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I believe the ouput shaft would be the incorrect length. I don't know for sure but every 400 tranny that I have has a different output shaft length. The only one I don't have is the 205 version so I can't check.

5. HarryH3

Hmmm, so the answer is "yes" and "maybe"? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

It'll fit.... Long as you got the adapter that goes w/ the T400.

I just did this to an 81 'Burb I've got. It came w/ a T400 and a blown 208. I installed a good 208 that came from behind a 465. Staight swap!/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Marv

**edited** ooh... er... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif I just re-read your post. I see that you got a trans issue **maybe**...

Marv

7. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

tranny output shaft length is different. the th400 for np208 shaft is 32 spline and sticks out 2.5". the np205 version th400 has 32 spline shaft that sticks out 4.5".i know the np208 for the 700r4 has a 27 spline input so i would guess that the sm465 one does also! seems like almost every different tranny-transfercase combo used different shaft lenght and adapters. i say save up for a doubler! you already have the beefiest tranny and tcase just find the correct np203 that matches the combo you have and your are set. offroad design has alot of info on tranny output shaft lengthes adapters and other stuff on the doubler page. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. HarryH3

Thanks for the info! The later model 465's have a 32-spline output shaft that matches the Turbo 400. But it sounds like my 400 has an output shaft that is far too long for the 208 to mate with. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The doubler is way too much time, cash, and effort for what I use this truck for. I mainly want to be able to keep the speed low when coming down steep, loose, rocky trails. Right now that requires lots of feathering of the brake pedal. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I guess I may end up swapping in the 700R4 and 208 that I have in the garage. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif