Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will a 350 work

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by BurbLover, Jul 30, 2003.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I picked up a good shape 83 w/ a 6.2 in it. The 700R4 is shot and I have a TH350. I know I need a new torque converter, but I was wondering if it'll hold okay? It will be for my wife and more than likely never see anything worse than 6" of snow and no trails/mud. Just wanted soem opinions. Thanks.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Don't know for sure how its done, but you have to modify it to shift at lower RPMs. Can't think of anything else to keep you from doing it.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

you might need to change drivelines but yes it will hold up and the shifting is controlled by vacuum on a 350 not electronically like a 700 is

4. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

What do you mean change drivelines? Also, since the 350 uses the vaccuum and the diesle doesn't generate vac, what do I do????

(I know I'm an idiot!!)

Thanks.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

a th350 is not the same length as a 700r4 so the drivelines would be a different length not sure about the vacuum /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

6. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Theres a little vacuum thingy that goes on the injector pump for the th400 so should work for the th350, I think.

7. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Okay, since the 350 is shorter than the 700, when I go from the 10B to a 14B, will this compensate due to the larger axle? Also, I will be doing the 4" shackle reversal from ORD at the same time. I don't know if that will help or not. Anymore comments?

You guys are helping alot...THANKS!!!!

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I picked up a good shape 83 w/ a 6.2 in it. The 700R4 is shot and I have a TH350. I know I need a new torque converter, but I was wondering if it'll hold okay? It will be for my wife and more than likely never see anything worse than 6" of snow and no trails/mud. Just wanted soem opinions. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well first to cover what nobody did: yes it will hold up better than the 700, the 350 is much stronger and is not that sensistive to overheating.
    The torque converter and I think the governor too must be changed to diesel specs, I am not sure if there was any stock diesel th350 but I am sure there are aftermarket parts to help there.
    As for the vacuum, there is a pump that works for the th400 like was said already so that would cover the shifting.
    You will loose the mileage but gain durability and ease of mind.
    As for the driveline, if you are switching to 14bff and shackle flip, you will probably end up with the right length, but I would advise a new driveline anyway with a CV due to the fact that the angles will be so steep that turning your pinion up would be best.