Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

will a 383 work with a 87 tbi computer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Dan, Jan 21, 2003.

1. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

i was wondering if a 383 would work on 87 tbi computer.what would have to be done ?would it be worth it ?any chance it could be smog legal in california? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Depending on the CAM chosen it could pass smog. The TBI computer chip needs to be reprogrammed. One of the chip places should be able to hook you up pretty easy. Make sure you have all of your engine information when you call them.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

4. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Derf00 has a 383 in his '90. You may want to send him a PM and ask what he had to do to get the engine to run right.

5. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

If you have a stock or mild cam, you should be OK. It may hurt driveability a little though.

Good luck.

7. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

I built one for my wifes 88 2500 4x4 tbi. it has the old 2 piece rear main block, the 88 heads[mild port work], 400 crank, 350 rods, mild cam,try Y headers, Flomaster exaust[ no cat],stock tbi with spiral spacer, and a jet 6 pack prom that has not been custom tuned. the thing is twice the motor it used to be. I do get a lean code evey now and then but its 3 years old with an estimated 45,000 on the engine.Do it, I love mine. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. great scott

I built one for my wifes 88 2500 4x4 tbi. it has the old 2 piece rear main block, the 88 heads[mild port work], 400 crank, 350 rods, mild cam,try Y headers, Flomaster exaust[ no cat],stock tbi with spiral spacer, and a jet 6 pack prom that has not been custom tuned. the thing is twice the motor it used to be. I do get a lean code every now and then but its 3 years old with an estimated 45,000 on the engine and still prrrr's great.Do it, I love mine. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. great scott

sorry about the double post, Im not sure how I did that. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

10. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Older systems with mass air flow sensors deal well with cube changes,as they measure air coming in against oxy content going out.{simple explaine}.Map systems don't accept changes as easily.Chip change and new sensors usually needed. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I'll speak up for Derf00, since he didn't reply yet /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif After we installed the 383 we didn't have the chip ready and reprogrammed yet so we fired her up with the stock computer and a hyptertech chip installed. It ran, but way lean. Since the 383 we purchased came with Edelbrock Multi-port Injection, Edelbrock supplies a custom made chip. Plugged her in, and was ready to go. It runs like a champ now /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif