Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will a 4" lift + 3" body lift run 40" Boggers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by guido666, Oct 19, 2005.

1. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I have a '79 Blazer and put a 4" lift, and a 3" body lift on it. When I put the 40" Boggers on there it looks like they may hit. I have front and rear Bushwacker Cut-Out flares to put on it. Do you guys think that will be enough?

The reason I went with the 4"+3" combo was I figured I needed about 7-8" of lift, but thought that by just lifting the body for part of that, I could keep the center of gravity lower. Is this a realistic idea?

I want to only put on as much lift as I need to keep the tires happy, I'm not looking to impress with a 90' lift. This is just my first build up and I could use some advice from some seasoned vets. :crazy:

2. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

I woudln't use that much body lift but thats really only a personal thing from person to person. I think though that with that setup it might work, you may have to do some triming though for rub. Someone else will probably have a better answer but that's what I've got.

3. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

The Bushwacker flares cut out 2-3" from each side of the fender opening. Will that be enough, or will I need more (so ditch the flares)?

I hear a lot of people say they don't like to use body lifts. Any specific (tangible) reasons, or just looks/preference. Like I said, I was mostly thinking about center of gravity, I don't really care if it looks a little off visually.

4. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

Your prolly good I've got 6in with 38.5s good bit of trimming.like rear of front fender flush with inner fender and a little off the front.the rear of the rear is missing about 3in. I also moved my axel back 2 in . this is prolly not needed.

5. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

toss the body lift and flares.. cut the fenders and run the 40s :wink1: Or to answer your actual question yes they will fit... im not sure how much the flares take off, but regardless it will work for streetuse. Youll have to do some trimming to flex it up though :D

6. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

The flares cut 3" from each side in the rear, and 2-1/2" from each side in the front. Do you think this will be enough?

The reason I ask is they were expensive ($400 for the set I think) and why install them if the tires are just going to ruin them or I will need to remove them to cut more metal. I could just sell them off and get more goodies as new.

7. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

Id say your probably gonna have to cut more then they allow you to. And if you ever plan on using it offroad the flares will eventually get torn off either by an object or a tire.

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just hack 'em, I know I did. :D

9. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

What size of wheels are you going to run on your 39.5s?

[​IMG]

I've got 2.5 front springs, 3in body lift and bushwacker cut outs and I stuffed my friends 39.5s on 16.5x9.75s. I know if the wheels where wider it wouldn't have worked. They rub on the front of the bushwackers a little when I turn, but didn't break any thing. I mud bogged with it all day, and I took it up power line trails and didn't have any problems. So I'd think with 4in springs in the front you'd have no problem.

10. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I still think you are closer to a 4" though (probably original 4" springs that are just sagging)... your truck sits pretty close if not the same as the red '84 that I had with a 4+3, and the Orange Blazer has a 4+3 and doesn't sit much higher.

If you want to do just alot of trimming and no body lift, here's what a 4" Suspension lift and the same set of Boggers looks like:
    [​IMG]

11. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Hope you can get that much cut that you list above...

I have them.. paid $380 for them...
    the rear.. I was able to clut 4" total... yeah you can do 2" front and 2" back.. or as I did.. I recentered my axle (gave the illusion) by cutting 4" in front of the wheel well :haha:

now the front is where I am dissappointed...
    2" TOTAL CAN BE CUT!!!
    I did 1" front and back... well I rub BIG TIME but maybe due to the 12" wide rims... so I took my fronts off.. hopefully this weekend im going to flex the truck up to see how much more I gotta cut and how big of bump stops I need..... :doah:

I have a feeling that when im done I am goin to end up HACKING the fajesus out of my front flares... .I am keeping them as many dont like them... due to NJ lift laws... and tires tucked... I took my mudflaps off the rear so that will draw cop attention... so anyway... you do what you gotta do...

6" front leafs - 40" hawgs on 16.5x12 rims = 38.8" tall
    http://www.supermotors.org/mygarage/vehicles/content.php?id=8011&sID=24448

Front
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rear
    notice the rear axle too far forward

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Are you positive that that is a 2.5" suspension lift? If it is, I know my plans for my rig without a shadow of a doubt.... "2.5 front springs, 3in body lift" :cool1: .......... the only thing stoping me from going with a 2.5 or 3" suspension lift is the fear of not being able to go bigger.. but if its possible, then thats what I WILL be running :wink1:

13. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

My tires are the wide Boggers. 39.5x19x15. They say right on them to only mount them on 15x12 rims (which were a pain in the ass to find with an 8-lug pattern by the way). I have the rear ones on it and there is maybe a 4" gap between the corners of the fender and the tire. But the front fender is considerably smaller. I can't put the front ones on for a few more days (until I finish rebuilding the front 8-lug axle).

I know this is going to sound like a naive question, but I'm kinda learning this all by myself, when you "hack away at the fenders and such" do you just cut to where the outside skin meets the inner fender? Or do you cut it more and weld in material to close the gap? Or do you only cut the corners where they hit? I could just use some carification or a good explanation. This truck is my own little project and I don't really know anyone who does these kind of things that can help me.

14. mikey_d05

Just trim the sheetmetal away from the wheel well, you can go a few inches without getting into the inner in some spots, and in others you can move the inner for more clearance (the back of the front fenderwell.) Like this:

[​IMG]

~ 5" of lift in the front when all is said and done, a grinder and a sawzall later and presto chango they clear.

15. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Nice. So you moved the inner on this one? Did you just move the rear edge of the front fender back and tack weld it or something? Or did you move the whole inner?

16. RootBreaker

dont forget depends on your wheeling needs... rocks = no need for inner wells... mud = more coverage and less mud on motor.... I am going to unbolt part of my inner... and cut and bend... then fillin wherever the gaps are on the inner.. and cut the front bushwacker BIGTIME!!!! :haha:

17. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to keep it an all around truck, so I want to keep the inners. We have lots of mud and other nasties to sling arond in Ohio. I more just want a truck that can go anywhere, including to the store (irregardless of whether there was a mudslide across the road :-).

That brings me to another question. With my 3" body lift there is obviously a gap between frame and inner fender. What do you usually do to cover this? I can't use plastic because my big 454's headers seem to melt anything nearby (I actually melted the solenoid housing on the first starter I had in it).

18. RootBreaker

I wouldnt worry about the body lift gap..... at least around the motor.. tires fling the goo mainly around the tire and straight up and down.. yes splashing will occur but not that bad... :wink1:

19. mikey_d05

In the rear of the front fenderwell there's a "corner" on the firewall. I freed the inner from the outer and muscled the inner up against the firewall and bolted it there, I then cut the outer to match. If you get up close it's not all that pretty but a body shop should be able to roll a lip into the sheet metal to make it look factory again if you want it to.

20. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

No, I don't care how it looks, just how it functions. :-) Thanks for the advice.