Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will a 4" lift from a 74 blazer work on a 90 suburban? STARTED NEW PROBLEM

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Mar 20, 2004.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Will a 4\" lift from a 74 blazer work on a 90 suburban? STARTED NEW PROBLEM

I know the rear u bolts arnt the same because the axel tube diamater(mines 3/4 ton) but other than that it will all work right? the shocks, steering arm, and springs are all the same right? correct me if im wrong about any of this and let me know any potetial stumbling blocks. Thanks a bunch in advance! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

2. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Re: Will a 4\" lift from a 74 blazer work on a 90 suburban?

Yes it will

3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

ok well i started and on the front springs, the rear bushings are to small for the 90 bolt to go through.(as in the 90 bolt is a larger diameter than is the sleeve in the bushing of the lift spring)And as far as i ca tell you cant just press the sleeve out of the origanl 90 springs. What im thinkinmg is to either burn the old bushing out of the original springs so that i could get the sleeve out then dril the lifted spring bushings out to accept the origianl springs. or bo buy some tube at the hard wear store that the 90 bolt will go threw and use that tube as the new bushing sleeve on the lift springs... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    What would you do?

P.s. sorry for the confusing qustions ad poor grammer and spelling but my hands are greesy and im trying not to get the key board all dirty.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Re: Will a 4\" lift from a 74 blazer work on a 90 suburban? STARTED NEW PROBLEM

The rear springs from the 74 will not work on the 90 Burb, the Burb has 56" rear springs and the 74 will have 52", and yes the bushings will be different as well.

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Hmm, interesting problem. The rear, lower bolt on the '90 suburban is 9/16". The sleeve that is in the bushing now for your lift springs is either 7/16" or 1/2". What I would do is call around (have any spring shops in your area?) for a new lower bushing and sleeve for a '90 suburban. I think the spring-eye size is standard so if you can get a bushing and sleeve for a '90 burb, they should fit in the lift springs off the '74. Otherwise, do you know the manufacturer of the lift spring? Maybe try contacting them.

Don't use pipe from the hardware store. The sleeves are hardened steel and need to be, otherwise the bolt will eventually wear right through.

And, 4xcrazy is right, your 'burb has 56" rear springs while the K5 has 52". If the suspension lift consists of rear springs, it won't work...if it's blocks, you'll be fine.