Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will a 73 steering box work on my 84K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RyansRod, Oct 28, 2001.

1. RyansRod

RyansRod 1/2 ton status

Will a 4X4 steering box from a 73 K10 work for my 84 K5?

Friends don't let friends drive fords

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, but you will need to get the proper hoses to the pump.

The split is from '80 and newer which have the metric o-ring ports. In other words, you will have leaks on your lines.

If you really need to use the '73 box, get some new hoses or reuse the hoses off the '73 and you should be fine.

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

3. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

<font color=purple>you sure about that ?? are ALL of the boxes like that,,i took an original box from an 81 pick-up and put it on my 79 without doing hoses,,and i'm pretty sure it was the original box also cause it was soooooo screwed up. dunno,,maybe my box was the same being's it was close to the switch,,might have had it on there to begin with in 79 ?

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>

4. chevrules

chevrules 1/2 ton status

K30 is correct here,the newer box has the o-ring fittings.k5king,it sounds like your box was already changed,you never can tell the history on used trucks.Back in about 1986 when I had a '69 shorty,I put on an '87 steering box.It is a direct fit and I just changed the lines.

chevrules...always has and always will

5. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

<font color=purple>ok now that's weird,,yur saying that the newer style box has o-ring's on the fitting's themselves or in the box where the fitting goes in correct?? mine doesn't ! when i bolted them up i tefloned the thread's and just put them right on,,i took the box from the 81 and another guy half installed the box on the 79 before i bought it from him,,i know where each one of the rig's came from owner by owner and i'm almost positive that neither one of the boxes was swapped,,and if they were,,why would they swap an older model box onto a newer one anyhow ? i know there's no o-ring's in mine cause it's only been a few week's since i put it on.
    thing's that make ya go "hmmmmm" ?

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>

6. chevrules

chevrules 1/2 ton status

The o-rings are on the lines.I have seen guys put older boxes on if they are in good condition.You never know,I would need to see pics of the lines disconnected from the box.BTW,I like your signature.....this 'jeep thing' has to be conquered...F___ing pieces of s___....sorry for the venting all.

chevrules...always has and always will