Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will a B fit into a U ????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUBFAN, Apr 25, 2006.

1. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Just wondering if the gears and carrier from a B model D70 will fit into a U????

Or, where can this information be found????

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Do not take this as the "Gospel Truth" but I belive the gears will interchange but there are pinion bearing differences between the "U" D70's and all other D70's .

The inner pinion bearing is smaller on the "U" series D70's but I think the inner diameter of the bearing is the same as the other D70's which might mean that the pinion is the same dimension as the standard offerings.
    Most D70's use a inner pinion bearing # HM807040-HM807010 and I believe the "U" series D70 uses the D60 inner pinion bearing # HM803146-HM803110 ( the difference is in the housing not the pinion shaft ).

All of the "Spicer" D70 gear sets that I have gotten new have come with a spacer for the pinion shaft and I believe it is to make the one gear set universal for different models of the D70 - You might or might not need it when swapping between "B" and "U" D70's .

Double check my info because I am going from memeory . I would check with the guy called " Gear Man " ( I think that is his user name ) on Pirate - he seems to be VERY knowledgeable on Spicer stuff.

HTH's Tom

3. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

The D70 B&U share part #'s with things like carrier/pinion bearings and gear sets.

I thought the "plain", B, U all shared the same bearing/seal set , I could be wrong.

I was under the impression that the differences in pinion bearings where in the HD-70 and HD3-70 with the 5/8 and 31/32 offset pinion.

tarussell usually knows what he's talking about , I think I also would like to know for sure!

Jeff

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I hope so....I found just a center section in the scrap yard. I could get all but two of the cover bolts off with my crescent wrench, and got the cover pryed back far enough to see the 41-9....

I hope it is a Power Lock too....No chance of comparing the BOM no's as the tubes are long gone....

The only reason I think it was a 'B', is because of the large B cast into the housing....

That scrap yard has been very good to me this last month. I found my wide D70, a 428 Pontiac, and a 400 sbc.

Sooner or later it will produce a T400/203/205....(fingers crossed)

5. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

Tom, I was looking through my D60/70 parts and I think that your on the money with the "spacer" thing.

So as long as you have a matching pinion gear and bearing you can go between the B and the U case.

Learn something new every day.

Jeff

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Finally, matching gearsets for the front and rear!!!!

Bet I won't see any H1 rims floating around in there....