Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will a bond title lower the value of a vehicle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wy4tt, Jul 14, 2005.

1. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

I'm having real issues with California. Bought a '79 Jimmy a while back and have been building it up, knowing it's going to Colorado. Well, in CA, years '76 and newer vehicles have to get smogged and pass smog inspection. Needless to say, this engine wasn't designed for CA use and it would not pass emissions here. But in Colorado it g. Here's the problem. For registration, Colorado requires the title to either be in your name (your name is printed up on it), or signed over to you directly from the guy/gal who's name is printed on it. My name isn't either of those (I'm 3rd to own it on this title). The guy I bought it from signed it over to me, but his name isn't the one printed on it. So, I have to get CA to reissue the title in my name. Fine. But, to get the title reissued, it must be smogged (which would cost a fortune), etc., even if it's going OUT of state!

So, between CA and CO, I'm screwed. It's really ticking me off. Seems that regardless of whether or not it pollutes, you should be able to show ownership!

So I was told that a loophole may be to get a "bond title" once in Colorado. Anyone know what this is and if it's the same as a normal title in the long run? Sorry for the rant here. This issue is just about to do me in. Thanks for any info.

2. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Smog is required in CA to *register* (ie operate on the roads), not to *title* i.e. own. You should be able to request a duplicate title without smog, especially if you say you're going to non-op the vehicle (statement of Planned Non Operation, aka PNO.)

-- A

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

This is what I was going to say. Just non-op it!

5. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

I thought the same thing. I told them, all I need is the title. I'm not going to drive it in CA. I wasn't planning on registering it and they knew that. So, I talked to 2 supervisors and they both said the same thing. Without question, if you want a title reissued it MUST be smogged. They even tried to bypass it in the system. No go. Then, they tried to say it was out-of-state. The system still wouldn't allow it. Then, I talked to the head supervisor and was once more told that, if I want a title reissued, it has to get smogged. Even if it's not going to be driven in CA at all! Doesn't make ANY sense to me. All the title is there for is proof of ownership (at least I thought). But with this clause, it's far more than that. :mad:

So any idea on a bond title?

6. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

i started to go through the bonded title process in MT. the title i received from the owner wasn't signed correctly, he then moved away. the jist i got was that process was for insufficent proof of ownership. i had to have a leo come and inspect the trucks VIN etc. i did end up contacting him and he signed off the title correctly. a bonded title isn't like a salvage one, it just gives the previous a saay if something fishy went on with the sale! :D

7. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

They are doing somthing wrong I got a car registered titled and tagged in CA and the car was in AZ with me and my address. It didn't need to be smogged cause it was older but if the computer wouldn't let them doesn't make any sense. What if you buy somthing that was already smogged can you not get a new title? What about somthing that doesn't need to be smogged? Can you not get a title for it like a boat or something or a tractor? Check out the web site for the DMV and do some reserch. Had the DMV out here tell me I had to bring a picture of the trailer I was registering for the state files so they could put it on micro-film I said what what century do you live in. Their web site said I just needed the vehicle or a picure so they could look at it, the lady learned something new that day.

8. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

Thanks Hellbent. That's not too bad then. I was worried it might look something like a salvage title. I wonder if, after the process is complete, is it still considered a bond title?

9. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The bond is insurance for the DMV that nothing screwy is going on, your basically putting insurance on the title paperwork. It covers their a**.

10. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

kgblazer5, I agree. However, it might have something to do with the previous owner not being able to get it smogged either. I bought it from a buddy, who had bought it from some schmo. When my buddy bought it and tried to smog it, it wouldn't pass. Then the engine developed a nasty knock. Then I came along and took it off his hands. Since he couldn't get it in his name due to smog, maybe the system is still waiting for that. Anyway, I don't think it would stand up in court. It sure doesn't make it any easier though. Regardless, I'm done dealing with CA. I'm going to try the bond title in Colorado. The guy there said not to mess around with CA dmv anymore and that we'd take care of it when I got there. The first lady at the DMV did hook me up with a temporary registration though!