Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will a Cadillac 425 fit?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by travis, Apr 4, 2002.

1. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

I was surfing the local paper and found a Cadillac 425 and Turbo 400 for $500. Says it runs great. I trashed my small block about six months ago and haven't had time to fix it. What would be involved in the conversion. I know the T400 wouldn't work but I'll be keeping my 465 anyway. Anyone know the specs on the 425? Parts/upgrades easy to find? Any info would be great.

Thanks,
    Travis

2. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Try Maximum Torque Specialties http://cad500parts.com. Why not try to use the TH400? I would think it would be simpler to adapt the (BOP or Chev) TH400 to the NP205 than the sm465 to the Cad, but I don't really have any experience there..
    I think these engines weigh less than a BBC.
    Take care
    JB

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I know a bunch about Cadillacs. The first problem with the 465 is the bellhousing pattern. All GM divisions used the BOP bellhousing pattern other than Chevrolet (I don't know why GM didn't force Chevy to abandon their bastard bellhousing pattern in the name of being Corporate, but...). This means you will need an adapter plate. The next item is the fact that Cadillacs have not had any manual transmission options since the '50s, so the thing will not have a machined hole for a pilot bearing or bushing in the back of the crank.

Motor mounts will be a pain in the behind. Caddy used a wierd dual through-bolt setup for the motor mounts and isn't a thing like what you'd expect to find on a Chevy, Buick, Olds, or Pontiac. I don't believe that it will just bolt into a truck without some mount fabrication.

The 425 is kind of a bastard engine. It is not really as good as a 472 or 500 and parts are easier to find for the bigger cousins. If you want a good 472, I have one for sale with no hours on it (a lot of CMD parts are in the thing, along with studded heads, custom cam, etc.).

4. lsak5

lsak5 Registered Member

We put a 500 CadZilla in my buddy's 87 longbed. Wasn't hard really, but we had to cut out the mounts and part of the frame and weld it into the Chevy. He got the adapter and bolted up the 400, and 208. Parts are pricey, Intake is like $250 and cams w/ lifters are around $200 for a #5 cam, Not sure what it means but the cams are numbered. But just my pennies.