Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will a Dodge d60 with CAD work on SAS?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5MONSTERCHEV, Jan 31, 2004.

1. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

So Im gonna do a SAS on an '01 HD. The guy got Dana 60 out of a '01 Dodge, one with CAD. Will the axle work, as long as theres vaccuum to the disconnect? All help would be appreciated here! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I would assume that you're correct about the vaccuum.

FYI - those axles are notorious for hub bearing failure with bigger than stock tires.

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

Hub bearing failure eh, ill keep that in mind.

4. gmule

gmule 1/2 ton status

They also use ball joints instead of king pins

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

Yeah, i know. The guy already has the axle. I heard something of cable to actuate it?

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah I mentioned it in your other thread, I know there is a cable actuation unit out there. JC Whitney sells it likely

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

Yes someone told me he thought JC Whitney sold it also, Ill give em a call!

8. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

PosiLok has the cable device for Dodges, too. They make the ones for GM IFS trucks.

9. bluejeep

bluejeep 1/2 ton status

IIRC, those use all 30 spline inners. By the time you upgraded that, then upgraded the carrier/locker, then upgraded to add manual hubs, you will far exceed the cost of a ford dana 60. But, it's up to you. Maybe you don't really need all the upgraded parts and this would be a low buck upgrade as compared to the IFS.

10. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Might be able to do a little bit at a time as the money will allow. Like you said, even w/the std parts, still probably better w/the SFA than IFS.

Chris, are you making brackets for your 90? Or are you using ORU?

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

Yeah so supposedly the axle is a Dana 60, but also isnt. The centersection is all D60, but the knuckles and such arent, the guy at Dynatrac called it a Hybrid 60, sooo the hub conversion wont work because the knuckes arent Dana. I guess its the D60s '00 and up, because its avaliable for the 60s between '9? and '99, so hes stuck with the 3pc axle. As for steering ORU says they can make it work, guess thats good news.

12. bluejeep

bluejeep 1/2 ton status

I believe you can use all ford balljoint outers on the dodge axle if you want. That would give you manual hubs, a real spindle with seviceable tapered bearings, and options of Yukon 4340 35 spline stub axles.

Rod -- yep, I'm making them. Since I do fab work it would be just wrong for me to buy them. I've just got to pick up my 4.10 14 bolt sometime and I'm ready to start on it.

13. the cork

the cork 1/2 ton status

your best bet would be to use a 78-79 ford dana 60,
    its high pinion, and the springs are farther away from the
    tires ( more clearance), = less rubbing, they say, /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

14. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The Ford ball joint stuff won't work on the later ( 2000 or so to 2002 ) Dodge front 60's - they have the ball-joints in the "C" that is attatched to the tube not the knuckle . The last few years of Dodge 60's are gay and the usual up-grade stuff won't work on them .
    HTH , Tom

15. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Hub bearings do fail with big tires but then again you can run a detroit or other locker up front and manually disco the cad using a posilock cable instead of the vacuum. Then it would be like a selectible ARB.

16. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hub bearings do fail with big tires but then again you can run a detroit or other locker up front and manually disco the cad using a posilock cable instead of the vacuum. Then it would be like a selectible ARB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, not quite like having an ARB. If you have a locked front and disconnect one side (by either unlocking a hub or by the axle disconnect) you will always send power to the opposite side. I've seen several guys do this on the trail due to breakage and it causes some weird handling and pulling to the side.

17. K5MONSTERCHEV

As I said above, the 2000 and up knuckles arent Dana, only the centersection is, therefore, Dana parts wont work for it. Tires wont hit the springs, because id put them 32.5" center to center. I dont think were gonna use the axle anyway, because its too much to machine the knuckle for steering. Unless someone knows a place besides ORU that knows what there doing?